The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I finally made time to get to my GP and make a contoll, I have put it off way to long! I think I am pretty pleased with the results. I have to go back in 2 weeks (need then new prescriptions anyway) my Doc wants to repeat the LFT's, as I have had a few times "yellow eyes" jaundice. And in my urine test the protein is still by 3,2 g /24h. What do you think about my sucess. Should I be happy? I feel the MCTD and MPA are still sleeping, hopefully a long nap. Shhhh... i don't want to wake them up.

Code:
            Ref.
BSK

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Monique,

We cant interpret your blood test results for you but with any tests how you feel within yourself and also how they compare to previous bloods would be important to consider.

Is this a trick question :hehe: you are Doctor of Pathology after all :wink2: :lol:

love
Lily

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not a trick:hehe: My Doc and myself are ok with the results. Just the Liver enzymes are little too high. That's why he wants to check it again in a few weeks. When it stays the same or goes down then is OK. If it gets higher, then the Azathioprine maybe has to be switched:sad: I hope not because after 6 months of cyclophosphamide and Plasmapherisis, finally i am in a partial remission and AZA has kept thigs stable. I don't want to mess around with anything new right now. My WBC is on the low side but I haven't had any problems. However, another Lupi (freind of mine) thinks my results are "terrible"??? I think it depends on how you feel as well. There are some people (my freind perhaps) that get sicker because the tests say "something" is not right. She thinks my ANA and ANCA are to high (meaning that the med's arent working) bull*** I say (ANA is not a reliable diesase activity indicator) and my liver is being destroyed and bla, bla, bla..... Just wanted to know how others would "see" such results if they themselves hat them.

However, as my doc says My positive ANA and U1RnP Makes the diagnosis of Mixed Connective tissue Disease (Sharp's) really easy! And the ANCA (MPO) is a definate for the Vasculitis as well. I was one of the lucky (unlucky) ones that didn't spend forever getting thrown around waiting for a diagnosis. My sympathies to those who are so long in limbo. I hope that they get answers, and that it is NOT Lupus but rather something that can be cured!

Alles Liebe,
Monique

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would not be too woried about any of the results other than those for your liver function, particularly as you mention some jaundice symptoms - I'd expect Dr to follow up on LFT's & reassure me/treat me if my lupus was affecting my liver. I'm not sure what GPT test is for exactly (perhaps we call it something different in UK) but this is very high compared to normal range given in your results sheet so I'd want an explaination.
I'd possibly also keep an eye on blood coagulation tests in future, and as they seem to be at top end of normal range I'd ask if (in view of my medical condition) this needs further investigation
I personally would be worried about any protein in urine in case this indicated kidney disease was starting as I've never had protein in my urine so far
ANA result with neg DNA and your ENA result does suggest MCTD and you are right in telling your friend that ANA titre does not serve as a reliable indicator of disease activity

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

GPT(glutamate pyruvate transaminase) is the same as ALT (alanine aminotransferase). It is specific for liver damage. the high liver enzymes is from cirrosis (fatty liver) due to Medications. The same would be the case if you drank alot of alchohol:worried: Luckily the liver can handel quite a beating and keep on going so they say only when the value is 10x the upper limit of normal (over a longer time) then you need to take action. I have WHO class IV glomuleronephritis (after biopsy). My kidneys are still working (normal creatine) but I have nephrotic syndrome (loss of over 3 grams/day) protien. However my blood pressure is within acceptable limits so I don't take anything for it. After my first big attack (stroke) in 1999, I was never tested for Rheumatic diseases, almost immediately I was given a diagnosis of MS (MRI, and evoked poteintials were typical for MS). Only 3 years later when other symptoms became appearent did anyone test ANA etc. It was then quickly confirmed that it was in fact MCTD, und I also have Microscopic Polyarteritis. Because MS is also autoimmune, I was being treated for "Lupus" as well. I was given 1000mg cortison and then Interferon (not typical for lupus as a treatment) but i really think it helped.

And my ENA (U1RnP) is lower now than ever, so I guess that could be a measure of success.

Thanks,
Monique

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes the thing that jumped out at me was positive ANA with postitve RNP - as you say MCTD a possibility

1 - 6 of 6 Posts