Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone.

Lately, I've been having LOTS of pain around my major joints... shoulders, elbows, knees... and esp my hips. For about the past month or so, the hip pain has been pretty much a daily thing. It's hard to determine, though, whether it's the actual joints or the muscles around them which hurt... getting up from sitting can be really hard... I have a heck of a time straightening up!

My main concern is that this hip pain doesn't seem to be going away.

I had a physical exam by my GP a little over 2 mo. ago. (I mentioned the hip pain to my doc then [it had just started happening], but he quickly dismissed it.
) My cholesterol is normal, my CBC all came back right in the middle of the normal ranges for everything, and my TSH is 2.07.

I take Synthroid for mild hypothyroidism, .05 mg one day and .075 the next. (.05 was too low and .075 was too high). I also take 10 mg Claritin and 50 mg Zoloft every day.

I know I need to see a doctor... but I keep putting it off. I've been so frustrated w/docs so far, with all this mess... it doesn't exactly encourage me to rush off for a check-up.
I just keep praying that when I do finally go, they will actually find out what's going on........

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi Songmom,

Haven't heard from you in awhile....it's good to..... but sorry about your joint pains!

I can sympathize with your hip pain and I agree its hard to tell between joint and muscle pain with the hips.

I have no advice, only sympathy and cyber hugs

Does your hip pain make it hard to sleep? Mine does, and I wake up feeling like my legs are going numb and my feet will tingle sometimes. It seems I'm losing a lot of range of motion very quickly and if I sit even for a short time I am very stiff.

I'm calling my rheumy tomorrow. You should make another appointment specifically for your joint pains, then your doc can't dismiss it.

I'm glad your tests are normal, wish you were feeling better!!!!!!

Sorry. I didn't mean to make this reply all about me. Just wanted you to know you're not alone and I'm thinking of you.

Take Care,
Barefut

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Song mom,

I too experience hip pain. My right one is the worse. I swear the the hip is just going to pop out of place one day and sanp in two. I have spolen to my rheumy about it and he questioned sciatica. He put me on neurontin and that took care of the problem. Problem now is the pain ans all is back, so I do not know what is going on. I see my rheumy Wednesday and hopefully will get some answers.

Good luck!!

Nancy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Songmom,

Sorry to hear about your hip pain. Yes, it is hard to deal with. For me personally, my hips have always been my biggest problem, my hip pain-also Rt worse than Lt. has been throwing off my body alignment since the beginning of 2003. Although I can go a day or two without it its never far away. My doc has had a double hip replacement due to joint degen. so he never poo-poos it.

When then pain is really bad and the sciatica kicks in, that can be really bad. When its real bad I can take Vicodin, change positions often and hopefully sleep through the worst of it. There have been times when its felt so bad I honestly feel that my "back labor" during childbirth couldn't touch it!!!

So if you or anyone else get an answer, please spread the good news, I'm dying to hear it.

Hope you all feel better soon.

Hugs,

Michelle
aka: mama

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Hi Sara

Like you I have a lot of pain around my major joints and most of the not so major joints as well with my hips and knees being the most painful.

My hip pain seem to spiral out of control last December and I actually lost my balance and fell over on a couple of occassions as the pain felt as if someone was stabbing hot needles into my hip.

I take Warfarin and with the falling I was pretty much covered in bruises and when my rheumie saw me in the January she was pretty shocked. She sent me for x-rays as I have mild oesteophorosis.....no broken bones fortunately. I had an MRI and when I returned for the results she said that she just wanted to see if she could find the most painful spot.....boy did she find it; I nearly jumped off the table.

She said I had Bursitis in both my Hips, shoulder, elbows and knees but as the other joints were not causing me as much problem as my right hip that is the one she would treat that day.

Out came a needle and a steroid injection was put into the joint at the top of my right thigh........I had to have the needle entry pressed ahard for five minutes then I had to sit in the waiting room for ? hour for the needle site to be checked again. Apparently they don't really like giving steroid injection to patients on Warfarin unless they really need to.

I haven't had any further problems with my hip and the other joints I can get by with 2 x 500mg of paracetomol.

I don't know if the [pain I had is the same as what you have got but it might be worth mentioning and asking your rheumie about it.

I wish you all, Sara, Barefut, Nancy and Michelle a painfree day today

xxxxhazel

·
Registered
144 Posts
sara,
so sorry you are in so much pain. I too suffer with hip pain, along with all my other joints. I havent been dx with lupus, but have with fibro, raynauds and scleraderma. Got my appointment with rumie next month, hopefully will find out then. Not that i want it but at least then ive got a proper dx and can learn to deal with it, and get the meds i need.
Hope you get the answers your looing for soon.
Lots of love
Lou.xxx

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Song, happy to see you again, its been quite a while. I also
have no advice for you, just (((((hugs))))). I would tell you to go to the
dr. or get a new one, but I don't like my dr.'s anymore than you like yours.
So all I can say is pace yourself and take it slow.

Be well and keep posting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Song,
I have had problems with my hips as well, Mine was caused by prednisone though. It caused a condition called Avascular Necrosis where the blood flow to that joint gets blocked somehow and the bone dies. I had to have a hip replacement on my left hip. I am not in pain in that hip anymore. If u take prednisone that might be something u would consider. Actually everyone who takes pred with hip pain should consider that. i would recommend a hip replacement if that is the problem though. I feel so much better now.

Thanx,
Alicia

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry about your pain. I also have hip pain, elbows, shoulders, wrists, fingers, knees, toes, and ankels. I wish doctors would understand how bad this affects your everyday life. Last night I was up until 1am with my whole body in pain. Could not stop moving, could not get comfortable. I have to get up at 5am to feed 5 month old baby daughter. Then I go to work. I am so so tired once I get home. Some day my joints just ache a little, but by the end of the day I feel like I am 90 years old. It really stresses me out, I am only 31 years old. I am tired of doctors too, but you won't get any help if you don't try. I just made some more appointments myself.
Take Care & Feel Better, Jen

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi

i also had problems in my hip..i looked it up on the internet and found out about Avascular Necrosis..its dying of the hip tissue..maybe you should ask your rhuemy about it :)

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Long before I realised that I had an illness I got hip pain. It really ached but I have really long legs and was always doing something, three jobs and a child. i put it down to all of these but now I can see that this was the first Lupus symptom. maybe it's worth going to a Rheumy and asking for a full Lupus panel.

In the meantime you need some pain management and the doctor must give you treatment for this. I fond it hard when going to the doctor to get treatment for pain as they tended to give some some referral and I left the office with no script for pain control in the interim :rolleyes:

Hope it subsides soon xx

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
sorry your having hip pain as for Avascular Necrosis, thats very extream, i suggerst you go back to your gp and rtell him/her about your pain,

i had the same thing lasted for over 6 weeks, best hting i can tell you is rest it as much as possible, my gp put asteriod injection in my hip, i have bursitis, hurts like **** when it starts.

hope it passes soon for you Lin xxxxx

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Cutiegirl, Pollianna & Lin,

This post was started 5/22/2006 and the poster hasn't been back since 10/13/2008.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I'm going to close this thread as it is so old and if any of you want to start a new one, feel free to do so.

Katharine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.