TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
earthling
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am having some bad stomach problems, nausea and frequently feel like I'll have diarrhea & end up not eating most of the day. My rheumy said that stomach problems aren't usually a symptom of lupus, is this true??? I am wondering if anyone has stomach problems as well? (I don't think my upset stomach is medication related.)
Thank you,
Cynthia

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Cynthia,

My stomach problems were related to the Imuran and got better when I started eating Activia every day. But my understanding is lupus can affect any part of the body, including the stomach. I know for a fact that Sjogren's can, and it's closely related to lupus. I'm no expert, but I think your doctor is all wet.

Why don't you try the Activia? It really helped me a lot. It took several days to kick in, but it's so much better than taking another medication. Maybe your whole digestive system is a bit off and whether it's from lupus, meds, whatever, the Activia might just help. Good luck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavesmile:hi cynthia

i'm sorry that you are feeling so bad. i have the same problem. i'm never hungry, when i do eat i'm nauseous and when its real bad i hurl :sick:. i got very ill 6 yrs ago after 3 weeks of hurling and ended up in the hospital for a month.
i was finally diagnosed with gastroparisis, meaning my stomach was not digesting my food. not sure if its actually lupus persay but i did read that some types of neuropothies can cause it, which i have. needless to say i don't weigh very much do to this. they gave me erythomyicin elixar. it some how makes your digestive system start churning.
this is what happened to me but i'm not a doctor but you might want to ask your doctor.

hope you feel better soon

hugs and kisses

·
smile xxx hugs to all xxx
77 Posts
earthling;545168 said:
Hello,
I am having some bad stomach problems, nausea and frequently feel like I'll have diarrhea & end up not eating most of the day. My rheumy said that stomach problems aren't usually a symptom of lupus, is this true??? I am wondering if anyone has stomach problems as well? (I don't think my upset stomach is medication related.)
Thank you,
Cynthia

ive allways had bad tummy pains back in to from the loo etc etc..,

my rumy at first said ibs but after few more test we put it down to inflamation in the tummy lineing,,
i use buscapan to try ease the pain

good luck xx;)

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
You may not think that it is medicine but since you are not feeling like eating much it might of changed the way your body is handling the medicine and can be apart of the stomache problems. If you are under more stress then normal this too can cause problems with your stomache. The body has a way of saying hey knock it off I can't take this any more lol. Your rhuemy is wrong about it not being lupus related as if it is meds than that would be related and if it is not meds then they really need to checking into what is causing the problem especially if you can't eat much.

I do hope that you start to feel better soon and that you can eat something good soon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Have you noticed that the problem is worse if you eat any specific food? You may want to keep a food diary just to identify if you are having a food reaction or sle reaction. In my experience, sle can do whatever it wants from the top of your head to the tip of your toes and everything inbetween!

For your rheumy to discount you is just wrong. It also makes me question his understanding of the disease. Autoimmune diseases often run in multiples. This includes chrohn's, celiac, and many more. Some people get relief on a gluten free diet (wheat, barley, oats, rye). Read labels if you choose to try this. Often "modified food starch" is from wheat. My motto: when in doubt, check it out.

If this was myself, I would print out all sorts of info on gi conditions which can be connected with sle. Then, I would present them to him and tell him we need to revisit this idea.
Good luck,
Sally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts