TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have just spent 2 days att the hospital as my 13 yr son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I also havethis and have had it since I was 2.

This came as a complete shock and from knowhere, it literally was like on Tuesday he was fine and went out to play football and by Wednesday afternoon he had diabetes.

I had noticed that he had been drinking slightly more, I would not say excessively though and he had been waking in the night to go to the loo 2-3 times, this had only been going on for the last week or so. It all hit me on Wednesday morning like a big gong when he said he felt a bit weak and it suddenly occured to me that this could be diabetes and I thought I would test his blood sugar, although I did this I expected the result to come back normal and that it was me being over zealous. The result was 25 which is about 5 times normal non diabetic blood glucoe levels.

I imediately called the gp who as I knew he would said it a dead cert and that I needed to prepare for him to go into hospital that afternoon, he needed to see him first to check his urine for ketones. He very luckily escaped having ketones but had 4 + glucase in his urine and was admitted on Wednesday evening. they said that that he did have diabetes adn that we had picked it up very early which had avoided hime getting very ill. This is actullly made me feel alot better as i know from personal experience how ill ketones for a long period of time can make diabetics, this was a relief.

He was given fluids overnight and some insulin and then by Thursday afternoon was doing his own insulin and blood testing. We were allowed home yesterday. He is taking insulin exactly the same as mine and is doing 4 injections a day. He has not cried, felt sorry for himself or complained about anything atall, he has taken all this in his stride.I am so very proud of him he really has been amazing!! I have just tried to put my feelings aside and support him, I didn't want him to see me worrying as I wanted him to fee posistive about the future. The hospital are providing us with really great support at home we can call anytime and the diabetic nurse whom I know form my own illness is coming to see us on Tuesday.

Well what a shock. I just have to say that all my feelig aside and obviously I wish this had never had never happened, but I am so amazed at my son, what a champion. This is a boy who has never been sick, never had to have a needle apart from his imunisations and has had a fear of them and has just taken all of this in his stride. We are determined that this won't restict him as he is very sporty and active.

It was our first night at home last night and as I went to bed I started crying as I have stayed with him since he has been in hospital, it was a bit of wrench to go back to normal and not be there watching over him through the night.

Oh my goodness. I am going to be positive for him, I do beleive he will take good care of himself and although he will have extra challenges to deal with, he can do everything he wants to do. But what a shock.

Take Care All

Cassie :)

·
Marika
349 Posts
Bravo to you and your son......you have obviously set the example for him.
I wish you lots of strength for the future for both of you.

I am going thru something similar....my daughter has been ill recently...she has had a 'normaal' blood check at our house DR. it came back fine except for her liver which was 'high' but as she had been on paracetamol they think it could be that. I know I have to take her to a Rheumy Dr. because deep down I have an awful feeling, so many little things are wrong with her....but....I can't explain I just can't do it. I just don't want to hear it, and have yet another thing to deal with after the past five years....but it's my daughter...so I know I must. I will do it this week, your son is dealing with it so maybe she could too,

Marika

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Wow Cassie that must have been a shock :(

It's great that you were able to realise so quickly what was going on and deal with it.

It is amazing how kids can manage things when they have to. I'm sure you're very proud of him.

A for yourself, do look after yourself. I'm one of these people who reacts terribly well in an emergency - you can throw anything at me, blood, broken bones... you name it - but after, once everything gets back to semi-normal it can make me suddenly feel so ill with the worry of it.

hugs to you :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Marika,
thank you so much for your kind words. I am really sorry for the worries you are having with your daughter. I think for us the fact my son had not been unwell did make it a real shock, but at the same time it was very positive that he did not have the chance to deteriorate.

I have been through many worries with my children. My second daughter was born at 27 wks, my third daughter became ill at 6 weeks and stopped breathing at home, and then they found a whole in her heart. This healed itself and she is now very healthy apart from mild asthma. What I am trying to say is, I never thought I would be able to deal with any of those things but as mums we just do, we find those resources deep down inside ourselves because we just have to. I think you are right to be proactive and take on the health issue as this will mean that of there is anything wrong then atleast it can't get worse and it can be sorted out. You will both deal with it very well I am sure. Good Luck to you I really hope everything works out o.k.

Katherine- Thankyou so much.

I am exactly the same as you, very calm in a crisis although emotional at times, I can handle procedures blood the whole works and like you said it is only after that it catches up and then I become ill. Which I am expecting.

My mobility has not been good and I have felt at the hospital that I could not put one foot in front of another at times but kept going and I guess that over the next couple of days it will be catching up with me. The good thing is that the bloods I had last week have showm my inflam markers to be lower than they have ever been in a whole year almost normal so atleast I have a head start on the dreaded beast this time. :hehe:

Thank you both for your kind words

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Cassie,
Well Done to both of you for the way you are handling this. Not an easy thing for a 13 year old. Glad to hear he is taking it so well but I guess he is bound to have some down times at some stage and it is good that you are there for him.
x Lola

·
Registered
279 Posts
hello Cassie

As a mum of 5 I feel for you.:( Horrible when I child is ill Your son is soooooooo Brave bless him. :sigh:Im a needle phobe :eek::eek: Dont know if you have tried emla cream its great for numbing the skin before injections or bloods. ;):rolleyes:;)Just thought it might help your son. :unsure:we mums want to protect our children Do anything to take the pain away:):)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lola- Thanks so much for our reply, yes we talked about the fact that it s great that he is positive now but that it is perfectly natural for him to have days when he feels fed and just wishes it would get lost and leave him alone which of course it won't. Our hospital actually has done a new thing where they have employed a clinical psychologist to work with children with diabetes and their families which I think is an excellent thing to provide and very useful. The psycologist came to see us and introduced herself when we were in hospital.

Dixy- Thanks very much. Yes Kyle had the cream and cold spray when he was in and had to have his bloods done and a canula put in. It is really great that they are able to do this too, it makes the whole thing so much less distressing.

Thanks Again

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Cassie well done to you for spotting that there was somthing wrong with your son.I think your motherly instincs were spot on you should give yourself a pat on the back for not freaking out you deserve some roses:rose::rose::rose::rose:Best Wishes Elisabeth

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Cassie,

You were right on spotting that your son had diabetics.
I know as moms we don't want our children to go threw anything. You have set a good example on how you have taken care of your diabetes. Your son has seen that and is probably thinking if mom can do it so can I.

My mom uses insulin pens for her diabetes. It is real easy for her to use, just so many clicks for what she needs. She was in her 80's when she developed type 2 diabetes. Her 3 month test of diabetes was in the 900's.:eek:

Take care of yourself too. I am good when the emergency is going but when it is all done I almost pass out.:faint:

Best wishes to you and your son.:)

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Elizabeth- I hope you are feeling a bit better than you were. Thank you for your kind words. I think that any mum with diabetes would have noticed these things, I think I am generally more on the alert for anything autoimmune related as I have 3 of these types of diseases. Thank you.

Hi Lynn- I hope you are well. Thank you, Yes my son and I both use the pens, his is actually the newer model to mine which is even better, the needle is so tiny only 6 mm long. He said he doesn't really feel it, which is good.
I just tried to be positive for him, I was a bit worried because I tend to suffer with lots of drops in blood sugar and don't always have symptoms of this and subsequently end up being very ill. I thought that he would the think the same would happen to him. The nurses and myself have managed to reasure him though that his illness is individual to him and also that he isn't a mum who inevitabley ends up worrying about everyone else before themself!!!!
Thank you for your kindness.

Take good care

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Cassie,
You have a very brave son and it sounds like he gets his courage from his mother. well done for spotting the diabetes and for handling it so well. I am sure he will cope just fine as you have given him such a good example.

Hugs
Elle x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Cassie

Im sorry to hear about this news with your sons health. As mothers, none of us want health problems for our children and diabetes is such a life changing condition as you well know. Its great that he is handling things so well and being so brave - Im sure he has learned many of those qualities from you :)

How are you doing yourself? It must be a terrible shock for you especially coming on top of your own health problems at the moment. I think the two of you deserve a very special treat this year. I hope you can find the space to plan something nice for you both.

Much love and strength to you and your son
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Elle - Thanks so much for your kind words and good wishes, I really appreciate it.

Hi Joan - Thanks so much for your reply. Yes it is alot to take on for everyone, but t helps so much that my son is dealing with it well at the moment. I think we both have fears and worries about going back to school, but atleast we have support from the diabetic nurse with this and we just need to put safety measures in place to make sure everything goes o.k. Tough though!!

It is hard with my issues aswell, I also have some other circumstances which are causing me a great deal of stress too, which I cannot avoid. My ex partner took me to court back in October to apply for contact with my 4 and 6 yr old daughters, unfortunatey we could not afford a solicitor and were not intitled to legal aid so I have had to be my own solicitor aswell!!! There is another hearing tommorrow and both my daughters do not want to see him, they consider my husband their dad as he is the person who has brought them up. They have been having supervised contact with their real dad for a couple of years now with some gaps but really do not want to go on their own which is what he is pushing for. I f only he were capable it would not be so bad, but he really does not have a clue and is only thinking about things from his own point of few and not thinking about how the children might feel at all!!!

Yes so this all together is rocking my strong mind as well as my body. I just have tog et through tommorrow and get Kyle coping with school o.k and I'm sure that the stress will diperse a bit. But I do not feel upto what I'm having to deal with at all, buut what ca I do, I can't avoid it, if only!!! :worried:

I appreciate so much having you guys here offering your kindness, its amazing how just a few words can give you a boost to keep going with things.

Thanks so much.

Take Care

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Cassie
I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time at the moment. It must have been a shock for you with your son. You did so well to spot it early so he didn't get too ill. I am pleased he is coping well with it, it must be very difficult. Hope that things go well at your hearing tomorrow.

Take care

Deb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts