TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:)
I have introduced myself on other forum. Just thought i would come on here to so dont block other page.
not been well for a while kidney infections major migraines been taken to hospital 3 or 4 times. just before xmas was blue lighted in with chest pains found to have pleurisy! feel very tired all the time and long shifts (13hrs) really knock me for six as do nights. get pain in wrists , ankles thumb and knees. quite a few headaches. but main thing is exhaustion.
My bloods show raised ESR between 30 and 22, WBC high and neutrophils high, have speckled pattern on ANA, RF neg. Basically i feel like old woman and i am only 33 next month. :worried:
Just want to know whats wrong so i can deal with it , i feel really frustrated and scared and dont know what to do. sorry if i sound negative but hard to be pos til i know whats up.

thanx ang

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome - but sorry for what brings you here. Sounds like you've really been through a lot recently. Your symptoms are very familiar to many here - and I hope the doctors keep working diligently to find the cause to your symptoms. Lupus is definitely a possibility, but I'm sure they are trying to rule out other potential causes as well. Diagnosis does take some time, as you want to make sure the right diagnosis is reached, so the right treatment can start. I hope that happens for you very soon.

Best wishes - please keep us updated on your progress & feel free to ask any questions that come up along the way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my god just done 13hr shift and boy can i feel it. felt like flaking halfway through but tried to push on through. told ward manager today about wots been going on and she was really cool. she is gonna see if one of the rheumy drs can talk to me to put me at ease abit as really quite scered . dont know much about lupus so dont know what i might be in for.hope everyone is doing well.

ang

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Angie,

Nice to meet you!

I'm reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you are a nurse/midwife/doctor/HCA on a NHS hospital ward? I used to be too - also doing 12 hr shifts:eek:. There is no way I could do it anymore:(:(:(, and it sounds like you shouldn't be either. If your manager is approachable, it would be worth asking if you could do half shifts. Sometimes there is another person who also wants to do half shifts, and then you can buddy up and each do a half day. That is much more managable.

It is good the manager is tring to get you seen by a rheumy sooner. Hopefully if they pit a bit of pressure on, you'll get treated sooner:p

keep us updated:rolleyes:

X C X

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Angie,
Another nurse here:) I don't do long shifts as I get a bit wobbly and you need to stay sharp on a neonatal unit.
If you are having trouble you should contact occie health. They were extremely supportive when I had to have a long spell off work and then arranged a phased return of reduced hours til I was feeling up to it.
They also suggested two clear days rest between nights to day shifts.

Good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi girls
Thanx for the advice , i think i will go to occie. i am only supposed to do 30hrs a week . this week i have done 2 long days and 1 half day got another half day tommorrow. next weeek only have 2 nights but they together so will be worn out. good thing is got six days off after that. Trouble is i feel like a bit of a fraud cos i havnt been diagnosed with anything. Had a chat with anice dr thats on ward today and they asked my symptoms which i told them. she asked me about other stuff too like past illnesses and then said hmmm, and asked which dr i had been refered to ? when i said none she didnt look very happy but of course til gp does it i am stufffed. never mind plod on!!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts