The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you find it necessary to take narcotics? I cannot stay on toradol so the only thing that has worked for me ever is dilaudid and I've always had a high pain threshold so it feels like giving in to take such a strong med. Finally have a PCA pump because of all my GI issues. I'm very grateful to have it and the relief but dragging this pump around forever is tough to think of. Also, I just restarted Imuran and have gotten down to 7mls of steroids hope to taper to every other day also.

Please let me know your experience. Thanks so much. Surgery earlier this week and I have my Lupus 6 year "anniversary" coming up --a tough time of year so I need some positive energies which seem to be on this site.

Thanks everyone! Happy Halloween.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i was on and off of vicadon/flexeril/valium for major back pain since december, that was finally diagnosed as degenerative lumbar discs in sept, most likely a result of mctd. when the pain was severe i would end up at the er and was given diluid or moriphine by shot or iv. when the reason for the pain was discovered, i was given a tens unit and fentanyl. fentanyl 12mg - 72 hr patch was too strong and i gladly returned them. i was then prescribed percept and morphine 30mg. both seem to work ok. i dont get 'messed up' and the pain is not a noticable. i take the one morphine in the morning and if i need something in the afternoon, the one percept. i am a recovering alcoholic - 11yrs so i am vigil about taking drugs for anything other than pain relief. good luck and i hope you find the answers to your questions

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I take Ultram (600mg) a day, this is a very effective non-narcotic pain reliever.

I do take 660/10 Vicodin's as necessary for breakthrough pain.

I find I have to take only 1 or 2 a week as the ultram keeps the pain at a managable level.

You caould ask your GP to refer you to a pain management clinic for a solution that is more comfortable for you, if you are concerned about narcotics.

I hope this helps - Stephanie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. Stephanie-this is what the pain clinic finally decided on after my husband and home nurse really pushed and then the pain clinic agreed it was a huge improvement. IBDorothy-congratulations on the 11 years and the incredible challenge you must face with the pain management piece. I too was knocked out by Fentanyl lowest dose and the pain clinic back then acted like I was the only person with Fentanyl problems. So glad morphine works, dilaudid just happens to not create itching for me so I guess I'm not alone in needing help with the pain. I used to be very athletic so giving into pain is odd for me but I wouldn't be on here typing without the pain control. And the TENS unit, I was so excited for that and then when it had just two lead so disappointed and the pain ended me in the hospital a week later, so I am lucky that they found something.

Thanks again for your replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts