The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't, and if I decided to go to one I would definitely run any suggestions by my rheumy before implementing them. From other stories that I've heard of lupus patients going to similar doctors... their suggestions have been at best only general sound advice on diet --- to at worst potentially extremely harmful to a lupus patient.

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
I did an initial phone consultation with one (didn't cost anything) just to see what kind of vibe I got...I decided not to go through with it. She felt that lupus (and basically everything autoimmune) doesn't actually exist, but is caused by a diet that is not gluten-free. I felt like this was a flaw in her way of perceiving the disease -- to tell a patient FIRST that their disease doesn't even exist probably isn't the best way to get someone to trust you! She wanted me to go gluten-free, but also eat a diet high in red meat based on my blood type. I said, "Um...no." It just didn't feel right to me.

My temporary roommate is a student in this field and we've butt heads a little bit over it. She feels that I should be eating a gluten-free diet and that when I'm ready to accept that, I'll do it. She also feels I should be taking x and y and z supplements (tons of random ones)...the list goes on. I've just realized that I need to steer clear of any health topics with her because I'm not ready to take those suggestions (and I honestly don't think I ever will be because of my scientific mind). I trust my rheumy is doing everything he can to help me. I'm not against naturopathic medicine if it helps someone, but I would NEVER follow suggestions without first consulting with my rheumy too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This strikes a chord as a friend of mine was telling me about her fab alternative therapist yesterday. She has 'cured' her IBS recommending she eats no raw fuit or veg and giving her a zinc supplement for her acne. My friend (Jo) thought it might be helpful for me but I can't really afford it although I am tempted by the thought of a 'cure'!!!! However I was put on my guard when Jo said this therapist had told her ME was all down to liver malfunction.......

Interesting thread
Rachel xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts