TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ! Woo hoo it is finally Friday.

I just needed some advice about work.

Some of you know I worked 11 years at a job full time, got laid off, but before that I dropped a day of work and went to a four day work week for about almost 2 years. That allowed me to rest up on a Friday and try to have somewhat of a social life on the weekend. Otherwise, I come home, collapse and am trash the entire weekend. It also allowed me to make all my zillion appts on a Friday rather than stressing and leaving work and running around. It worked better for my health. Did not make a signifant miracle but it helped.

So now I got a new job I started in Jan. and am working and extra half hour every day and 5 days a week. I am very withdrawn and very tired. I knew it probably was going to be too much for me to handle health wise, but I gave my best shot.

Now I have finally said Paula you can't do this, you need to think about you, many people go part time, I would still be working, I am a hard worker and my work is very valued here. They have made that so clear over and over that my work is excellent and I have taken a lot off their shoulders.

So I finally get the nerve up yesterday and say next week (cause the bosses are away this week) I will sit down and talk to them and explain that I am a hard worker, I will get my job done, but need to cut back a day, etc. etc...they already know I have lupus cause they have set me up without florescents over my head.

Now I am proud that I am making this decision to get the nerve up to do it, then I hear the other worker in the other room say that he was given his notice which would have been over a week ago. No one said anything to me, he does not discuss it, so technically I should not know.

So when I got hired there, I knew that there were two people that questionably were not doing their work and I knew that I was probably replacing them.

So my husband says you still should talk to them now cause technically you don't know the news about him leaving. There are only 4 workers including myself there. What is the most they will say, no we need you there, then I will keep on trucking with no choice really. I know for a fact they would not let me go, they value what I am doing too much as no one else there is doing what I am and I am doing the bosses work.

What would you do given these circumstances?

I have a problem with always looking at everyone else, well this one can work full time there, and don't want to be looked down on from other workers, etc. etc.. I know it is a stupid thing to do , but that is me, why can't I just work full time like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Paula:

Tough situation, however I agree with your husband. You do not "know" about the person who is being let-go, and your health is much too important, so is quality of life.

I think you should still follow on with what you decided, all they can say is no...but they probably wouldn't!

Best of luck - Stephanie

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Paula,
You are were I was back in September. I got the news from the doctor to cut the hours back on my own or she (the gp) would be doing it for me. I was so afraid that my boss of almost 10years would look at the fact she could hirer someone full time instead of part time.

I bit the bullet and pulled off to the side of the road and made the call to her at home. As I talk to her I could not help but feel I was letting people down by cutting my hours. I finally did it tears just came out as we were talking. She told me it would be okay and that she would rather have me part time then not at all. So we did the changes and it was ok until here lately. She had surgery that kept her home for 4 weeks, front desk super's wife had surgery that required him to drop a day for 3 weeks, and my ex. housekeeper had an accident in Jan 09 that she has not recovered from and is still on light duty.

I know all of this has nothing to do with me but I picked up the slack again. It has taken quiet a toll on my body, my energy, and some on my health even. I would say that you should talk to them and talk to them so they understand why you are doing this. You might be able to take and do some on a computer from home if they can set it up for you, if you have time on friday's sometimes. I know it is still work but sometimes when you can't sleep a little work helps. It is all just a thought, and I hope that something has helped you a little. Your health is more important trust me.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Paula,

In the long run you would be doing both yourself and the company a favor by cutting back your hours. You may not realize it, but when you are not feeling well your production is definitely cut back. Each time you call in sick or have to go to an appointment the work production is also affected. By working fewer hours and getting more rest your health might become more stable, making fewer sick days and cutting back the need for so many appointments.

Temporarily you might be leaving them in a lurch. However in this economy there are plenty of people that would love to pick up even a few hours of work to help them get by. Having a part time person might also give the company some flexibility to call this person in when someone calls in sick or the workload increases.

Your health is more important than any company. You owe it to yourself and your family to do what you can to get the disease more stable. Working yourself into the ground now may greatly impact your life in the future as it has with many of us.

Have you considered taking a day off midweek instead of a Friday? I did this for awhile and it made a huge difference. Another possibility would be 2 half days instead of a full day off. Also if you do cut back actually rest on that day. I would tend to try to get something done around the house or run errands instead of resting, which got me nowhere.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your courage :rolleyes:

I took it and went to my boss today. He was very understanding and said how much he values me there and my work and wants me as a long term employee. He will speak to his partner tonight, he is not in on Tues. but will tell me on Wed......

so now a pay cut too, ouch. I am not happy about that, but one thing at a time I guess.

Once again, thank you for your courage that I took with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts