The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I have appointment at St Thomas' lupus unit on Monday but I don't know whether to cancel it.
I'm worried about swine flu! , I live in the West Midlands but as far as I know we don't have anyone locally with swine flu yet. There's been swine flu around the Westminster area. We have to take the kids with us,
one suffers with asthma and has many allergies ( it would be dangerous for him to have anti virals or the vaccine) ,one has diabetes, one has asthma, severe hayfever & heart problems. I myself have Iga deficiency.
I don't know what to do!!
Any advice much appreciated.
love
Angied

·
Registered
150 Posts
HI Angied,

I can't advise you personally obviously as you really have to weigh up the risks and benefits for you in your own personal circumstances. However I just wanted to reply and say I understand how you feel as I had an appt there yesterday and was really anxious about going and the swine flu risk. However, in the end I decided my lupus is sufficiently severe for me to need to go. . . . .

St Thomas' itself has all the normal precautions but in the LUpus Unit it was business as usual - though obviously this could change if the case numbers got greater etc. I did try and not use public transport and I washed my hands before eating etc. I think this is all we can reasonably do. Everyone walking around London looked healthy - as far as you can tell so perhaps the self quarantine is working ??

I hope you're able to make a good decision for your own situation and be at peace with it.

Take care,
CAthy x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Angie,

It is a hard decision to make, to go or not to go! If there was a major risk to patients I think St Thoms Lupus Unit would close!

Are you travelling by car..if so then contact with other will be more limited. Obviolusy if by public transport there is chance of possible contact with the virus, but take all the precautions you can.

I'm not really sure the Midlands is as free of cases of swine flu as you think... I have seen a few reports via google mentioning cases! I live 1.5 miles from local hospital with emergency clinics set up..must say we have no more cases here than anywhere else in UK really! I also know that kids are being sent home from school with suspected swine flu just with a little nose sniffle and no other symptoms! Schools are being quite over cautious..just in case, which is not a bad thing! It does increase the statistics though of those unconfirmed cases!

Not sure how correct it is that people with ashma can't take the anti-virals or any flu vaccine. I know the normal flu vaccine is okay in most cases to be administered to those suffering from asthma including children...one of my sons get the vaccine every year! Obviously if there are allergies like egg then perhaps the flu vaccines would not be given!

Follow all the guidelines to self protect and with your kids too! Tescos sell small antibacterial handwash lotion for less than 60p. Good to carry in yout pocket..my kids take one each to school.

I wish you luck with your appointment...please try not to worry eccessively about the swine flu...live your life just with a few extra hygene precautions!

Take care,

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Angie

I sympathize with your caution.

I live in central London near St Thomas' and have yet to meet / know anyone who has or has had swine flu. It is extremely difficult these days between reality and the media's perception of the world.

However, as others have said - its a question of balance - an assessment of the potential value to you of attending an appointment at St Thomas' and the unquantifiable/unknown (potentially small) possibility of acquiring and dealing with a viral infection. Ultimately, perhaps the only answer available is a determination of that with which you feel comfortable.

Merle

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thankyou for your replies . I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I was in bed with a migraine on Sunday & yesterday I did go to St Thomas'. I left the kids with my mom who is nearly 70 & I felt very guilty about it but I thought the kids would be safer there .
I saw a doctor called Rachel Davies, I saw her a couple of years ago & she's good. The 2 previous appointments were very disappointing but this time it was worth all the trouble getting there.
She's upped my Plaquenel to 400mg every day, I had a Depomedrol(sp) injection & she is advising my GP to prescribe Tramadol for pain relief. I've had lots of problems in the past trying to get stronger pain relief because of being on Warfarin. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of only having 1 kidney & also having renal artery stenosis .

She did a neuro exam & said I still have muscle weakness on my left side & my balance isn't that good. I had more bloods taken.

Thats all for now
love Angied

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Angie,

So glad you choose to go and that the Plaquenil was upped! Its great to hear that you are being offered alternatives for pain releif as that is cruicial!

Take care,

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I am glad you went and that you had a successful appointment. I hope the new meds help you.

Take care

Deb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.