The Lupus Forum banner

Need to vent Flaring!!

926 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  raggedyann1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

You would think after all these years I would recognize a flare when it occurs. You would also think that denial would be a thing of the past. Oh well I am a slow learner sometimes. :wink2: I have probably been flaring for almost a week. I was blaming things on anything else other than a flare.

I have done so well on the Enbrel, especially since everything settled out with my other meds last summer. I have far more good days than bad days. My concern about the flare is that it might mean that the Enbrel is no longer working. This concerns me on 2 fronts. One that I will have to try another medication. :worried: Secondly the financial side of things. I have extra help with my Enbrel copays, such that I don't have to pay a penny for it. I am on Medicare and will be in the donut hole by the end of this week. If I have to stop the Enbrel then it means a lot more cash out of my pocket before I hit the catastrophic level and prescription co-pays drop dramatically.

I realize I am way ahead of things in my thinking. I had a short flare in January and then came down with the flu a week later. Then I pushed myself on the quilt block swap. This 10 day run of Prednisone could very easily knock everything back down and I would continue on Enbrel.

I don't know why after all this time I think that things will stay on an even keel with the diseases. That has never been the way it has gone for me, especially not this 2nd round.

Thanks for "listening"

Karen

See less See more
#2 ·
(((((karen)))))

I'm so sorry you are flaring..I sincerely hope the pred does the trick & settles everything down for you :fingers:

Hopefully it is a combination of your last flare,flu & over doing things,its certainly a big possibility.It's understandable you are worried about the prospect of changing the enbrel,I always dread taking new meds & that's without the added worry you have financially.

I know it's hard but try not to worry too much karen,take things easy,plenty of rest & TLC!
I hope you feel better soon
sending you gentle,healing hugs :there: karen x

#3 ·
Oh dear Karen

I can hear how upset and worried you are:hugbetter: I will just sincerely hope and pray that the pred knocks this flare on the head:worried: The very worst thing about this disease is its unpredicability. It never fails to sneak up behind and grab you.

Just chill and rest as much as you possible can. Better to take a few weeks of complete rest now than run the risk of things becoming more serious.

Lots of love
Joan:rose:

#4 ·
Hi Karen,

I'm sorry to hear that you are flaring:hugbetter: . I do understand how you feel, I was doing so well until I had a cold at Christmas which led me to the first flare in almost a year and boy did it hit me! If you've had the flu your immune system will have worked to beat it then gone into party mode. That's the way my doc explained it to me.

I think when we flare we naturally think - 'will I ever feel better again?'. Before my flare I did the whole denial thing thinking that I was invincible but it just brought it home that although we can be well sometimes we just aren't.

I'm hoping that it is just the flu and the quilt making that has caused this and that it will pass soon.

Take it easy and try not to worry. Thinking of you :flower2:

Hugs,

Pam xxx

#5 ·
Karen,:hug:
I am sorry you are feeling so bad. I hope you can stay on the Enbrel. I hope this flare will be it for you. I think we all do the denial thing because we just don't want to have to face the loopie truth:( because that then means more meds and days spent down and out. I think you were on top of it and the prednisone will work(power of positive thinking:wink2: ) You are in my thought and prayers.:)

Hugs,
Becca

#7 ·
Sorry to hear it seems to definitely be a flare now instead of flu recovery process..... I do think that various infections/viruses seem to set of some kind of a process which results in a full blown flare. Certainly is the case with me! I'll be hoping/praying the the quick burst of prednisone does the trick for you.

(((Karen)))

#8 ·
((((Karen))))
I am sorry to read that you are going threw a flare.:(

I hope and pray that the pred puts that flare down quickly!

Try not to worry, get plenty of TLC and take care.
love,
Lyn

#9 ·
((((((((((((Karen)))))))))))) :wall: :yell: Darn Lupus :(

Take it easy Karen and let's hope the Pred does the trick quickly for you.

I'm currently in a long term denial phase too if that helps :hehe: and refuse to say I am flaring ;)

love
Lily

#10 ·
Hi Karen,
I'm marie, I sure hope the pred. works for you and you can get feeling better. I am starting on pred. tomarrow to see if it can pick me up. I'm hoping it works for the both of us. Let me know how your doing.
I sure like this group, I wish it didn't hurt my neck and back so much to sit at the computer.
Good Luck and wishing you the best
marie

#11 ·

Karen

I am so sorry to hear you are not feeling well:( .I sure hope you do not have to stop taking the enbrel.It sure is one heck of a stressful thing with the price of meds and having to pay a lot for them especially with lupus it seems to be never ending taken new meds i mean:worried: .Take care and please let us know how you are doing(((((hugs))))).I sure pray things get better for you.

Tammy
((((((hugs))))))

#12 ·
(((Karen)))

I am sorry your flaring. I really hope the prednisone, knocks this flare out for you, so you can stay on the Enbrel. I understand your concern about starting on another med..for financial reasons, and because it is plain scarey.

I feel that way when I start any new, and unknown med.

We are here for you, in any instance. Please take good care of yourself Karen.

Lots of soft hugs and chicken soup, too!

Love,
Sandy

#13 ·
Hi Karen,

When you wrote about pushing yourself to finish the quilt I was hoping it wouldn't cause a flare for you. I am so sorry to hear that it pushed you over the edge. I don't know what day you are on with the Prednisone, but hopefully it kicks in for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

#14 ·
Thank you for your kind responses. Lily you know how it goes with the 2 of us. If I am flaring then you are too. We flare together even though we live on opposite ends of the world. :hehe:

I won't stop quilting, I am simply returning to my more gentle pace without deadlines. Even flaring doesn't stop me entirely, I still manage to get a little done most days. If all else fails I just touch some of my beautiful fabrics.

I am on day 2. 3 days of 40mg and then 7 days of 20mg. Energy levels high but I know it is the steroids, still hard not to go ahead and get stuff done. I might even hem a skirt tonight that I started on Tuesday. Very simple pattern.

marie2 I hope the prednisone knocks things down for you. It usually does for me, at some level or another.

Karen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.