TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on stopping nerve pain until I get to the doctor and get more meds? I feels like someone is stabbing the top of right foot about every 1 - 2 mins.

·
asleep at the meal
1,179 Posts
Good question. I get the same thing in my feet. That pain will stop you in your tracks and I can't think of anything OTC that will help. Amitriptyline helped dampen it for me and I only take 50mg per day. It didn't go away, but this made it tolerable. I have pain meds as needed too.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Jirel,
When you get this pain, what kind of shoes are you wearing? I find that I need a shoe with a good soft insole to protect the bones from grating on each other. Dress shoes are a constant battle to find one that does not cause pain. I LOVE summer as the sandal type footwear often doesn't hurt as much. BUT, if I am going to be walking around a lot, I wear my Easy Spirit [atheletic type] shoes. Wearing a cushioned sport sock also helps.
Try to avoid "slide" type sandals with thin soles and higher heels and no back to the shoe. The act of gripping with your toes will often be painful.

Good luck, this seems to be one of the final frontiers of lupus that is not yet well documented or published.
Sally

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I mostly wear Birkenstock sandles although I've found some Earth Spirit sandles at Walmart that I can switch off with.

I have some Lysinopril from before for nerve pain and surprisingly about an hour after taking a pill the pain stopped. I can't take this regularly as it makes my eyes blurry and causes major eye problems but I have some left over that I just never got around to throwing away. I'm supposed to get some neurotin but the doctor forgot to write the perscription. I need to get off my rear end and call her.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try Capsaicin cream. It's made from hot pepper extract and it acts as a block for the signals of pain going to your brain - or that's what they told us. I know it helped my mom for a while with her nerve pain in her feet. Wear gloves when you put it on, you don't want to get it in your eyes. I used to get the max strength for her.

Also, she wore patches on the tops of her feet. They had the same stuff in them that the dentist uses to numb you up (the name of it escapes me).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts