The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted this but think it was in the wrong spot.
Neuropathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been reading a bit about neuropathy and believe I may have it. I was diagnosed with Lupus, Raynaud's and Vasculitis last year. My nephrologist suspects I also have a mild Wegener's disease.

I've been experiencing a burning and sometimes severe pain in my feet and sometimes in my hands. I've even had a few occasions where my hip area had the same problem. The pain can really become horrible. It varies where it is also, usually where my toes connect and the top of my feet.

I have a Rheumatologist check up next week and will be mentioning it. I am on my feet all day (I'm a Preschool Teacher) so at first I thought it was because of that. Got some support hose, due to swelling in feet and ankles that my doctor thinks is due to all my meds. They don't always work.

Just wondered what you thought.

Thanks!
Michelle

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, I did see your post in passing - always best to start a new thread :)

I have neuropathy and like you get very painful feet and hands. They can also be rather numb or sleepy, it is difficult to describe rather like having cold wet socks on.

Anyway, you should definitely mention it to your rheumy and possibly ask for a neurology referral. They can do tests like EMG tests and MRIs to check out what's happening and see if something can be done to relieve it.

In my case my neuropathy is not particularly serious and remains stable. It is also linked directly to my lupus so, basically, once the disease is better controlled, so is the neuropathy.

I was a teacher too - except I taught adults in companies - but simply cannot stand for more than about half an hour tops.

Katharine

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
HI there i am also having a real problem with my feet i have to go on the 15april to be assest by a Biomechanical Assesment Clinic it will take 45min appointment have to take a pair of shorts dont know what that has got to do with my feet has anybody else been seen for this please let me know thanks elisabeth:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Elisabeth,

I'm really not sure what a biomechanical assessment is. I'm guessing at an EMG where they test your nerves with kind of electrical impulses using needles that they place at different points. That would take about 45 mins and needs your legs to be 'available' (hence the shorts?). I am just guessing here...

Katharine

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Michelle
Sorry I can't be of much help on this, but do mention it too your Rheum and let us know how you get on. All the best

Sheilaxox

·
Registered
40 Posts
Foot Problems

In the nicest possible way and please do not take this the wrong way, but I am so glad others have had problems with their feet. It isn't just me then! I have incredibly hot feet, severe pain that seems to come from no where, sometimes it is so bad I feel as if I have broken the bones on the top of my feet. My feet get so hot I have taken to putting a hot water bottle in the freezer before I go to bed so that I can cool them down, else I cannot sleep. I am also waiting to see a neurologist, due to some more problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the kinds words everyone. Also to Raspberry, it couldn't have been put any nicer! :hehe: I totally understand and definitely can relate to how you feel. I will let you know what my Rheumy says next week.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I was having horrible pain in my feet, numbness, burning and shooting pains. It was creeping up my legs and had gotten about halfway up my shins by last fall. I got pneumonia in October. Went to sleep for a nap perfectly fine and woke up with pneumonia. It was very scary and I went to my dr. who gave me a steroid shot and big antibiotics. Within two weeks the neuropathy in my legs was gone. It hasn't come back. Also my hands, which were hurting like crazy, stopped hurting.

I'm telling you this because I think there was a direct connection between the shot and the pain going away. I still put my feet on the floor every morning gingerly for fear it has come back. But not so far.

Maybe there's something here that can be helpful.

Sunny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts