The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new here. My friend found this site for me. I am 38 years old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 13. I quess at that time there wasn't a lot known about prednisone and it's effects! I was put on 60 mg of prednisone a day and was not "tapered" from this dosage until I was in college! I didn't have a lot of Lupus activity my first year of college, so I managed to work out a lot. I was about 18 years old at the time. When I got married I was taking 15 - 20 mg of prednisone. I weighed 110lbs, I am 5 foot tall. I have been hospitalized 7 times with intense flares and complications in the last 6 years. After so many years of prednisone use I have wide spread bone corruption. I have had 3 hip operations, knee problems and a shoulder that is not operable. So I can no longer swim or do aqua areobics and currently I can't walk without intense pain. My new doctor has been trying desperately to taper my dose, but my Lupus flares up everytime. I am very very discouraged now and depressed. I am taking 20 mg of prednisone because of a recent flare. I have been told by my surgeon for my hips and knees that I can not do any exercise. No walking on a treadmill, no areobic exercise etc. So I just get bigger and bigger even though I eat like a pigeon. I now weigh 175 lbs. and I feel helpless to do anything about it! I would give almost anything to be able to exercise, I am far from lazy! And to add insult to ingury, My orthopedic suregon keeps telling me all I need to loose weight is to zip up my mouth! I think if he says that one more time, I am going to scream! Does anyone out there know of anything I can do to loose this weight?

Very desperate!
Chubby

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to the site but sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.

To shut up your orthopedic surgeon, I'd write down everything you eat for 1 week or more (amounts, times, etc.) and then suggest he go on your diet for a week and see how he would like it.

You are in quite a tough position... it sounds like it is very difficult to exercise in your shoes. My only thoughts are: drink only water (don't want to drink your calories ever & diet pop can make you hungrier), fill up on vegetables then fruits then main meal. Be sure to check for any medical reasons like a sluggish thyroid gland which can easily add on the pounds.

For exercise, there are workouts that can be done in a chair (this is what my nearly 90 year old grandma does at her retirement home), and you could try isometric exercises (lay still and squeeze your leg muscle for example for 10 seconds, then relax & repeat).

But if all else fails, you're going to have to really learn to love yourself as you are & realize that your worth is far more than a number on a scale or the size of your jeans.

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Chubby,

I believe i'm in the same shoes. Except i don't have bone issues from prednisone, but i do have 2 slipped disks in my lower back and fibromyalgia along with my lupus and other issues.

My docs tell me i have to exercise because i'm on the verge of becoming diabetic.
I don't take narcotic pain killers,,,, i refuse,,, so doing any of this is very very painful.

Yesterday i walked on the treadmill for 30mins at the slowest pace there is. Today is a very slow moving day. We eat lots of veggies raw and cooked, no red meat and small portions. Mornings we eat high fiber cereal with low fat milk.
I don't think our diet is excessive in any way.

But i'm going to take Maia's advice on exercising,, that sounds like the ideal thing for me.
I hope you can benefit from it as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice but wanted to :welcome: you here and say hi.

I'm so sorry to hear of the very tough time you have had since childhood.

I'm sure others will be along who can help more.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Chubby, (don't like to call you that),
I can appreciate how difficult it is for you and as you eat very little there is no point thinking of appetite suppressants or similar.
I think your Doctor is being rude. On my last check up, I pointed out that although I am a bit overweight(steroids),I do not smoke or drink and go to an exercise class regularly. That shut them up!

Do try to look as good as you can. Maybe you can lose some weight but don't feel a failure if you can't. We are all here for you.
I am a little taller than you but know that being short is unjust as extra weight does show on us!
x Lola

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New and Discouraged!

LolaLoa, thanks for your reply. Today is been a hard day for me. Your comments have been very encouraging to me. I am going to say something to my Doctor the next time I see him. Thank God he is not my Lupus Dr. Again thanks for your encouragement. I think I have been too critical of myself today. You have helped me see that. Maybe I should not call myself chubby. Hopefully I will learn not to see myself that way also.
Caroline

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Caroline

Lovely to meet you and glad you got a bit of 'spine stiffening' ;) from the others! Personally I would plant a large boot on that Ortho Surgeon:mad: That cretin shouldnt be allowed around people:mad::mad: He'll be needing a surgeon if I get my hands on him....grrr.........

Anyway, ignore that toe-rag. Welcome to the Forum and if you want to change your screen name at any time just send a message to one of us Moderators and we will see to it! :wink2:

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Change my screen name

Change my screen name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone,

Thank you all for your comments .(Katharine, Sadieone, Maia, Lolala and Joan), I had a rough morning, but I got an encouraging call from a friend. It helped me get out of bed! Don't you worry I am going to tell my Orthopedic Surgeon were to go. Joan, Please change my screen name to CarolineTiffany.

Thanks to the moderators for having this site, in only two days it has helped me to hold my head up! My name is Caroline, not Chubby. Period (Thanks for that Lolaloa)

Here's to taking Lupus one day at a time!:rotfl:

PS. Do you all mind if I add you to my buddy list?

Caroline

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Caroline :)

I replied to your PM so when you have the chance, just PM me back.

Well done on the name change :wink2:

Cheers
Joan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts