The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, my name is Roxy Henise and I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic pain in left part of my body, I get small seizures, and suffer from cluster headaches.
I am a mother of two boys, Aaron 4 and Camdyn 21 months old, I was in the military for 4 years and when the docs finally found out what was wrong with me, i had finished my 4 year term.
I am now 100% disable, but does not mean I am disable from being a mom or a wife and friend.
I currently live in seattle Washington and have no friends whatsoever, I try my best to do everything myself, and pretend everything is fine..
I am to the point of going back and forward from the docs office or er, to control my seizures, breathing and/or blood cloths.
I am 29 years old from Guatemala, with a dream of becoming a Doctor, which right now I only got to accomplish 2 years in med school.
I am trying to find natural medications for my "many" sickness I do suffer from depression and anxiety at times, when I don't get at least 6-8 hours to sleep.:sad::worried:
Anyway, I was wondering if I should take 5 HTP Hydroxytrypthophan, I do not know what effect would do because of Lupus.
:worried:I don't know if any of you guys can help me I want to get better, "for my kids specially" sometimes I just don't even want to get up.
Please HELP
Sincerely
Roxy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Roxy and welcome :)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question about HTP Hydroxytrypthophan. I have never come across anyone using it.

Although some supplements might help and people have varying degrees of success with them, others may seem harmless but do untold and unimagined damage. I would never take anything without my rheumatologist's go ahead.

I hope you enjoy being with us here on the forum. There are a lot of wonderful supportive people here.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Roxy Im new to this site also. It has been a real help to me as I was only disgnosed a month ago. Keep loging on, you will find imense support, comfort and guidance here. I agree with Katherine, I wouldnt take any suppliment untill your consultant has OK'd it. Remember some suppliments may actually be harmful so take care.
I look forward to hearing more about you, youve found friends here.
Take care

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Roxy

Im very sorry to hear about the pain, seizures and cluster headaches :hugbetter: It must be so difficult trying to cope with two little ones to look after especially when depression and anxiety kick in. However I did look up that supplement for you and it says it should only be used under medical supervision if one has Lupus or RA:

http://www.totalhealthvitamins.net/category/5htp

5 HTP is available without prescription and is generally considered safe and may be beneficial to many individuals. Contraindications to 5 HTP use, or conditions under which 5 HTP use should only be under the supervision of a physician, are conditions in which increased serotonin levels may be harmful:
Cardiovascular diseases (High Blood Pressure, post-Stroke, post-Heart Attack), Extremely elderly persons Those with Parkinsons Disease, Cancer or Auto-immune diseases (Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus).......
If you attend the docs office regularly could you ask him about this and he might let you try it with appropriate monitoring?

I hope you get some relief soon. Please stick around. This is a great place for support especially when things get very rough :hugbetter:

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
hehe Joan, still better at googling than me :hehe: thanks for that it's interesting

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
:rotfl: Katharine! Got nothing better to do with me time....!

Cheers
Joan

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Roxy,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and I hope you get as much out of this site as I have. I am sorry your having a tough time of things right now.

Are you on any prescribed medications for your lupus? I agree that you need to be very careful with homeopathic stuff when you have lupus. Make sure you talk with your doctor before you take anything.

My husband flies out to Seattle often on business and other then the rain he just loves it out there. Last visit left him in awe with the Space Needle.

Anyhoo, hope to get to know you better. Please come here for support and friendships too and join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Roxy,
I live about 30 miles east of Seattle, which area are you in?
We have an active LFA chapter with several support groups held monthly.

Who are you seeing for your lupus? Who is your neurologist? I've found that many neuro docs have not a clue on how to handle brain involved lupus. Have you gotten a consult for psych care? I have found it helps at times to have a professional to discuss things with.

I am sorry about having to leave medical school. It is very hard to have to give up a dream.
Sally

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Roxy, welcome to the site. It is full of friendly people who have a wealth of info about lupus. I don't know about the supplement, but the others have given excellent advice.

Take care

Deb

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi Roxy and welcome to the site. You are not alone. I am not to sure about natural meds for lupus. I take plaquenil for my sle and it helps for the most part. I have very little side effects on it. The big one is stomache upset for the first couple weeks and on and off depending on if I get off my med schedule. Each of us have to do what is right for us and our families.

I hope you doing well and feeling well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts