The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well according to my family, they have the cure for lupus, cluster headaches and degeneration of any joints.
All you have to do is lose weight and exercise more and pull yourself together! I should just stop taking all those meds as I don't really need them, throw the crutches away as they don't help my mobility, just make people lazy.

So there you are folks, all those silly doctors don't know what they are talking about.

I really hate families sometimes! I have just come back from Crete, good holiday for the most part, but my mother and brother being embarrassed with my crutches and telling me what to eat all the time, put a bit of a damper on it. Thank goodness I came home to a very welcoming partner and sons and pets!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well come on, you're just lazy and feeling sorry for yourself clearly. Joke, joke! I wish I had a quid every time someone gave me some crack pot remedy or told me all my problems would be solved if I stopped eating chocolate. I've only lived with the illness for a few months and I've heard it all already.

Glad you had a nice holiday though.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hmmm yes - brings to mind the saying that "You can't choose your family, only your friends".

I'm lucky not to have that reaction and no-one is embarrassed by my rollator (or granny chariot as I affectionately call it), indeed Mum is almost jealous and the kids all want to use to it to race round the car park with!

Just wait until someone has a bad dose of the flu - then tell them to pull themselves together and get out of bed and diet... and make sure you explain that that's how you feel every day.

hugs :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
..."you can't pick your family, your can pick your friends...but you can't pick your friends nose!"

Seriously, I am sorry that your family is so unsupportive, maybe you should give them a copy of this

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67968&highlight=letter+normals

or this

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

maybe either or both of these would help them understand what you go through every day.http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67944

Best wishes and so sorry for what you are going through - Stephanie

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Raspberry, what can i say, some ppl just don't have a clue, and just never will., maybe one day, but don't hold your breath, but so glad you had lovely holiday, not seen you around here in long time??

inless we come on different times, we use to all have good night chats uyrs ago, ;) you take it easy now.

hugs Lin xxxxxxxxx
ps will try and make me do things tomorrow, and throw the stick and meds away :lol: night hun xxxx

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
ohh girl of only we could pull ourselves together......:eek:

anyways I am skinny ( body is lean and muscular even the bit where the boobs should be :lol:) so what do they suggest will "fix" me?

I dunno, families....You can't live with em.......:wink2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi everyone, it amazes me how many people are actually Doctors and not what they do in their employment/or not working. Just think that NHS in this Country would not have a Doctor shortage if they just employed all the "unemployed Doctors"

It makes my blood boil when someone tell me to "pull my socks up and get on with it" If I had the energy I would "pull my fist up and whack them" :hissy::yell:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hmmm interesting theory your family has :rolleyes::mad: :wall::tantrum::tantrum:

I wonder why our docs didn't think of that?

sending hugs :grhug:

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
((( Rosie)))
Unfortunately some doctors are no better informed.

Einstein said that there are only two things that have no end : Infinity and the stupidity of humankind.

Your story reminds me of an outing to a famous garden I arranged for my mother on one of her rare visits. We were both looking forward to it enormously but I for myself would never have made the long trip with complicated driving that day because it was one of the hottest days of the summer, roasting in fact and no AC anywhere. All I recall of the outing was the nightmare of driving in extreme heat with slowmoving heavy traffic and my mother sweetly pointing out several times as we toured the garden that everybody was looking at me with my scarf, sunhat, sunglasses & long sleeves. Gee thanks Mum you sure have a way of making people feel better about themselves.

She would often comment on how my skin was looking, usually when it was particularly bad, with sickening solicitude : " you must feel awful about it " and "you are so brave!" followed by advice to eat more fruit and get outdoors more. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

She also had that horrible habit of always finding some little fault when you had spent ages dolling yourself up to go out, usually unerringly picking on what pleased you most about your appearance.

The other memorable thing about that day was my three year old daughter getting up to every conceivable type of mischief as if she was some sort of ape. What a nightmare.

I am glad you managed you enjoy the holiday otherwise.

Many hugs
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Raspberry, I also remember you from Chat. You did at least give me a laugh over this wonderful "cure". I am fortunate, apart from encountering a number of silly Doctors along the way I have had no nonsense from anyone else. I don't talk much about being ill but people do understand.

Sending a Hug.
x Lola

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
I often say i wish i could swap bodies with some of mine just walk a day in my shoe's.Then we would see how they would cope with it constant tiered no relefe from pain not even when we have taken our med's.Boy i wish i was magic just for one day.Elisabeth

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Raspberry,

Obviously lupus does not exist. We just made it up. Just like this stroke I had last year at age 24... it was because I didn't exercise enough, and I was just lazy. It wasn't lupus at all! Good grief. I'm lucky that my family knows how serious this disease can be. Well... half of my family anyway, the one on my dad's side.

Maybe you should have accidentally hit them with your cruches. :rotfl:

Cinnia

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Well now that is a very interesting theory. Leaves me to wonder why people who are thin, eat right and excercise still get Lupus??? Maybe you should throw that one at them and see what they have to say.:mad::mad:

I am sorry that they feel this way. I think you should print out both links Stephanie provided, frame them and give them to all family members as their one and only Christmas gift this year.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe then they will know how badly the words they spoke bugged you and maybe they will also "Get it" and not go there with you ever again.

Hugs to you Rosie and glad the holiday turned out to be a good time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ive come to the conclusion that there are those who are comfortable with Difference whilst being content in the understanding that everything cannot be controlled and have the gift to listen and be open minded to the human condition.

All the rest are catching up!:hehe:

Dont worry we at least understand perfectly

Take good care

Nicky

·
Yard Sale Diva
186 Posts
Weirdly, its kind of ironicly comforting to know the exact same attitude is happening all over the world. I live in eastern Pennsylvania in the US, and I could have written your post word for word. My family, especially my parents have the exact, same attitude and "cure"!!!! amazing. They usually have a variation of this attitude when it comes to raising my son with Asperger's, that he just needs this or that to be cured. We'll see how that attitude changes now that they've had him camping this week. I surely enjoyed the break!!!

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
W We'll see how that attitude changes now that they've had him camping this week. I surely enjoyed the break!!!
Hysterical! I laughed my head off at this!!!! Just gotta love it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.