The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
men w/ lupus are fairly rare I guess
I have had discoid lupus for about 6 years now. It's a drag. I have a close relationship w/ a supposedly reknowned dermatologist & staff who have at least been honest with me. They now inject steroids into the flare areas on my face & scalp-NOT fun. But it seems to help w/ the itching. On my last visit, the doc stated that it was unlikely that the redness/scarring would ever subside. As a male, I'm not that familiar w/ make-up, but use concealer and a hat to go out. I can't find the right match for my skin tone tho-it's tricky. It either goes orange, yellow or white none of which are natural. I miss the sun. I was an avid gardener & love the outdoors. Now it's pretty much off limits-the sun is basically not good for anyone other than the fact that it triggers melatonin. With discoid lupus, I feel like a vampire who can only survive in darkness lol. hello all and i'm told that lupus is now considered a manageable condition, rather than the chronic ultimately fatal disease it once was. It used to be just a word, but when you have it-it's dreadful. I remember when going out in public was a quick shower & a shave. Now, it's like prep for a space shuttle launch lol

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

For the welcomes & info in the above posts. I had allergic reactions to both Plaquenil and Elidel. I WISH I had Seal's charisma, talent and $, but don't!
The comment about how much lupus affects quality of life is so true-I think back to when I didn't have it, or at least had no symptoms, and I am not the same person. I was speaking to a friend yesterday & mentioned it-I can't help but wonder where that guy (me) went and if he'll ever come back. I have some scarring which takes the form of patches of skin on my arms & scalp which have lost all pigment and are bright white. Thanks for the make-up tips; I don't look forward to buying the stuff in person & my stash is getting low, so I will probably do mail order or maybe check into consulting w/ a make-up artist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.