The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am Corina, I stumbled upon this site and I think I am very happy to have! I have all kinds of symptoms and recently had some labs drawn, just waiting for the next step!
I had a Neg ana, sed rate of 54 and a crp of 2.47?? Not sure what it all means, but have a few lupus and ms symptoms. I am hoping it is nothing, but had a very very bad week last week.
For the longest I thought everyone felt like me, I did not even know it was not normal!! lol
Have a wonderful weekend all!

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site it is a great place to find information and support.
Do you keep a symptom diary noting fever, rashes, joint pain etc and take photos of any rashes etc? This can aid your diagnosis.

Which doctor are you seeing? Do you have a follow up appt? Have they suggested any form of treatment?

Deb

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site :)

I'm not sure from your post who is looking into your symptoms. Is it your GP or have you already been referred to a rheumy?

Blood tests are very complex and without the symptoms and clinical history not much can be deducted from them. It takes an experienced doctor to diagnose lupus.

Here are a couple of links that might help you situate whether your symptoms fit with lupus or not.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/isitlupus.html

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33123

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who are willing to help.

Katharine

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Welcome to the site Mamasan.

The ANA test would be run when the doctor suspects an autoimmune disease. In 95% of Lupus patients it would be positive, however you can still have sero-negative Lupus but it is rare. The doctor would go by your symptoms and other tests in this case.

The sed rate shows inflammation in the body. Unfortunately it doesn't indicate where the inflammation is. Once again further testing and symptoms would come into play.

The CRP also is another indicator for inflammation. It can be used to monitor disease activity and infection. Like the sed rate it does not indicate where the inflammation is.

It looks like you will probably be having further testing to find the cause of your inflammation. Your GP may refer you to a rheumatologist and possibly and neurologist for evaluation. Good luck. I hope you find an answer soon.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for all the information. I know i need to keep a diary, but I have not started. It is my GP who is ordering the labs. I am just hoping to find out what is wrong with me.

I have stiffness
my feet feel like i am walking on crystals in the am
swelling only of hands and feet and they feel like they want to pop
sore patches in my mouth
Keratosis (i call it chicken skin, looks like goose bumps all over)
cicular patches with white bumps, come and go particularly one on my chest and neck
scaly patches
joint and muscle pain
hair loss
FATIGUE
dizziness
I hurt when i am poked, pinched or squeezed

Just waiting to see where they will go from here. I was told that the tests are not the best tests and they only mark 50% of the time, so we shall see

Many thanks again,
Corina

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I hope you don't have to wait long for answers. If lupus or a similar connective tissue disease is supected you will need to see a rheumatologist. Since there is often quite a wait it would be an idea to make the appointment now even if ANA is negative, because you clearly have joint and muscle pain. A rheumatologist is as good a place to start as any, only it's best to take the time and trouble to seek out one that is familiar with lupus and co.

I suggest you get to know what tests have been ordered and then get copies of the test results. That way you can familiarise yourself with the essentials and feel empowered in your heath care and over your illness, as well as being able to dialogue with your doctors.
I wonder for example what is meant by the tests being not the best and only helpful half the time. Presumably that not everybody has positive results on the few tests that are specific to lupus but I don't really know what the best tests might be.

Make sure urine is tested too.

A dermatologist might be able to help identify the skin problems. If lupus is suspect a skin biopsy can show if lupus is present often even in unaffected unexposed skin. Try to get photos of skin.

Let us know how you get on and good Luck

:)

Clare

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.