The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My name is Diane and I've had border line lupus for 16 years now but also have Hughes syndrome.

I wondered if anyone has any trouble with having to take the odd day off work due to feeling so ill.

\i only work 5 mornings but have had some time off and I've another chest infection and have taken today off I worked all week feeling ill.
My boss has gone mad and said because I have had one day a month off due to migraine etc that she is going to speak to head office to see if I'm fit to work.

Its only in the last 2 years since I divorced my husband and had problems with my daughter that my health has got worse its the stress i know it is.

CAn I be so penalised for being ill. last year I had 2 chest infections and tonsilittis all one after the other.

I just want to work with some understanding is that too much to ask

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Diane and welcome :)

I just wanted to pop in and welcome you! I can't really help on your specific work question as I haven't been able to work full time for many years now and I didn't even know why (I wasn't diagnosed). I have actually been off work since August 2007 now and have only just started doing a tiny bit again now.

I am self-employed which kind of solves the problem. When I say kind of, it's because being self-employed here in Belgium is not really the best option when you're sick but still... I am my own boss and when things aren't OK I decide. I also work mainly from home now.

I'm certainly not suggesting you be self-employed :hehe: and I would have thought that you are not sick that often from what you say. I certainly know plenty of "healthy" people who are sick more often.

anyway, that little ramble was just to say hi, speak soon,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It depends on where you live - are you in the UK?

In the US, there are protections for workers but certain conditions have to be met including you must work for a large company. If the conditions are met then FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) kicks in and offers protection against job loss for up to 3 months of absence per year for either your medical condition or time off work to care for another member of your family (most often used by mothers caring for newborn children).

Hopefully someone will be along soon to post with knowledge about UK rules!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Diane,

What a shame your employers aren't more understanding!

Where I work there is an management of attendance policy and you 'trigger' if you are off for more than 8 days at a time or for 3 periods of sickness in a 3 month period. This, is of course designed for 'shirkers' but if you are genuinely unwell and cannot do your job, then it is so unfair.

I have been off work now for 6 weeks and I've had a further sick certificate from my GP giving me a further month off. (I may need more, who knows?). What is going to happen now is that I have an appointment to see the Occupational Health doctor who will assess my health and determine if I am fit enough to do my job. They can contact health professionals etc with my consent. If I am not able to carry out my job, they have to consider how some aspects of my work may adversely affect my condition and then make informed recommendations to Personel and my line manager about the nature of the work being carried out and any adjustments that may be needed to working arranagements or the working environment in order to safeguard my health and enable me to continue with my job. Sounds like jargon I know, but it would be well worth speaking or better still writing to your Personnel department yourself and explain the situation in an honest an open way. Whatever happens, you cannot be bullied or harrassed in the workplace by your employers and employees have a lot of protection. Your employers attitude could make you so much worse if they continue with this pressure, they have a duty of care towards you and clearly this is being overlooked. This is having a detrimental effect on your welfare and could have health and safety implications.

Don't know if this is any help to you at all, but I do hope so, good luck and best wishes.

Frances

1 - 4 of 4 Posts