TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Maggie,

I have just recently (1 year) been diagnosed with Lupus. I have seen a Rheumatologist and the ANA test is very important, but only in that it is positive. The titer say 1:160 is irrelevant. this could vary day to day with immune activity. I am also on Plasmaquine, it is an antimalarial which acts to block the autoimmune antibodies from attacking your normal cells. It unfortunately takes about 6 months for full effect, so they use Prednisone (cortisone) to help with symptoms. I am also on Methotrexate, which is an immune suppressant. Again, takes 6 months to take effect, but since my gp started me on it about 9 months ago now, it is definitely helping. my arthritis, dry mouth, eyes (Sjogrens syndrome), pre diabetes, have all improved. My photosensitivity (UV light gives me a rash, as well as any stress!) is worse and my food intolerances are horrible. hence the introduction of the plasmaquine. None of the blood tests show food intolerances, but they are most definitely there. I have dreadful foggy head problems, rashes and appear to be allergic to my own sweat! My mood swings are appalling.

I don't know where the journey takes me, but hope for the best. hope what I have learned helps you.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
A warm welcome to the forum Rose!:)

I have moved your kind post to MaggieM because that was a very old thread and MaggieM hasn't visited the forum since October 2006.

It sounds as if you are doing well on your medications and I hope coping well too with Life with Lupus. There's lots of support here if you need any help and helping others can be very rewarding too.

Bye for now
Clare

PS Plasmoquine is called Plaquenil in the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Rose and welcome to the forum :)

I hope you enjoy being here and find it good for any advice, support and laughs you may need!

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello , Welcome here.
We all get on very well here and it will be good to have you here, whether you want information , to share a joke or just let off steam.
Don't forget to try Chat sometime.
x Lola

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi Rose,

It is great that you found your way here. I look forward to chatting with you in the room. It sounds like you have it ruff but are handling it as best you can. I to have sle and have a number of the same problems you are having. Keep your spirit high and your hopes up. Again welcome to the best site on the web for us.

Tammy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Rose,

Welcome to a great place. Sorry about your diagnosis but sure glad you found your way here for support and information from a great group of people.

I hope to get to know you better. Join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys. It s nice to know there are other people out there who understand what this is like. I live in South Africa and most people have neve heard of lupus, never mind what it entails!

Thanks Rose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts