The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 3rd I start a new position. ( i have been a hospital nurse, medical surgical floor for seventeen years, five at this hospital)

I will be in an office position, some bending and lifting of charts, but no more lifting people in the bed, out of the bed, on the toilet, off the toilet, in the chair, out of the chair, off the floor..... well you get my drift!:rotfl:

I am scared a little as I really like my job, most of the time everyone has a bad day now and again. But I really can not handle so much standing and walking and that slight bend over the bed/patient anymore. My joint pain has gotten worse, i have a bad lower back and have a new cyst there also. I have arthritis in my heel and a bunion on the other foot that was to come off in january but my back went out again and had to take time off due to that. They say my lupus is mild as i have no organ problems but this joint pain and fatigue can be quite bad.

I think chart review and keeping track of core measures= tracking treatment of pneumonia, heart attack patients etc.. may be a little ho hum but I just cant take the pain anymore. I have minimal pain on my days off but it is so bad on the days i work i can hardly walk to my car at night. :sad:

I took a medical coding class two years ago and I am certified. I was just waiting for something to come up. This job will also have some diagnosis codes to report. I have five days left to work on the floor as i am only part time. I am planning on getting back to my swim class three times a week once I get into the swing of things. I hope all this helps. i am no where near disability and yet it is so hard to keep going all day without a break most days untill 1:00pm.

Wish me luck and reduction of pain!:thumbs: Lisa

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Lisa,

I am so glad you have found a new position that is less strenuous than yoru current job. I would think in the beginning you will be busy learning all the ins and outs of things that you won't be bored. It is after a few weeks or months that office work can get "boring". It sounds like you are a people person like I am and the idea of paperwork is not so thrilling. Then you will examine the job and what you can do to change and improve things and what you can do with the spare time you might end up with.

I am just sharing from my perspective which wasn't nursing but my time spent in sales versus bookkeeping and job costing. I made games for myself with my tasks to keep my mind active. This was when I was in remission but wasn't strong enough yet for the stressfull world of sales. You will do great in your new position and you will enjoy muchhhhhh lower pain levels.

I totally dislike the phrase "mild lupus". I am totally disabled and yet I would be classified as "mild" as far as my lupus goes. I am glad you are able to work and there is no reason to think you won't be able to continue working until you are ready for retirement.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations

Hi,

Well done on your new job.

In the long run it will make life easier on your body, which will give you more energy for the things you would like to do and enjoy outside the work place and give you a better life ballance.

All the best and good luck:congrats:

Primrose

·
Banned
808 Posts
Yay :dancing: Congratulations and well done on the new job. I hope this change of direction will bring you lots of benefits and improve the overall quality of your life.

Best wishes with it all xx

·
Administrator
10,198 Posts
Hi Lisa,

The change of positions will be good for you. Hopefully your pain level will decrease and you will have some energy left at the end of the day. I wouldn't worry about being too bored, I am sure there will be enough to do to keep you busy.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Congrats on the new position Lisa - I'm sure this is a really positive move for you and your health.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
11,410 Posts
Congrats on your new job! :yahoo:

Physical work is hard on the body.

Take care,

Lyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts