The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have just seen a job that I would love to do but I'm unsure whether to apply or not. It is full time whereas I am working part time at the mo. It's the same job but at a different bigger place so there will be more opportunities.It's nicer and I'll get to do more of the stuff I love. The extra money would be extremely handy as things are always precarious. My heart is saying go for it as I know I can do the job well but my head is saying "wait a minute. On bad days you struggle with part time work". Not sure whether to go with my heart or my head if that makes any sense. If I did n't have blips with my legs and feeling lousy I would have applied as soon as I saw the vacancy but i guess I can't ignore my body and it's annoying tendencies to say "i've had enough".
My hubbie says go for it and if you do n't like it or can't do it , try something else but oh I do nt know......
I have started taking mepracrine and it has made a difference in the fatigue and helped with my legs abit but they're not reliable. I wish I didn't even have to consider factors like that and just do what my heart wants to do. I hate the unpredicability of it all.
Is it practical to increase hours when I do n't know when the next blip will be?
I hope you all ok.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hey Purplesnowflake -

I don't have any great advice for you - but I wanted to reply because I find myself in a somewhat similar position. I started working full time about two years ago and I was fine last year, but this year! I've just been flaring on and off all year and have had to take approximately 30 days off work since February.

However, the one thing that has helped me is that my job is fairly flexible - I can work hours to make up my time and if I need to work from home, I can. I tend not to do that though as I just end up playing on the internet :) Would you have that type of flexibility in your new job? Would that help you?

I was extremely stable with my SLE for about four years before this year so I didn't even consider SLE as a factor when I decided to apply for my current job. However, if I lost my job now, I think that I would really need a flexible working environment in my next workplace. I don't think it is feasible for me at the moment to work in a rigid environment.

I was at my rhuemy last week and she said 'this is a serious illness you are dealing with' - I've thought a lot about that since she said it. I guess I've always tried to place my lupus in a compartment - so when I'm feeling poorly, I'm sick, but when I'm fine, I don't even consider my lupus when it comes to making decisions about my life. I think this year has made me reconsider that approach!

I know you asked a question and I've just ended up rambling about myself! :lol: However, I thought you might find it helpful to know my thoughts about my own situation since it seems to be similar things that we are struggling with.

I also can't answer your question - you are the expert on your own body. I would advise you to honestly listen to your body though - I used to pretty much ignore my body and plough on because I had an idea in my head of who I should be.

I hope this all makes sense and helps somewhat - if you still are not sure before the closing date, you could always put in an application - that way you still have all your options open to you.

HTH -

Nellie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I will tell you what I would do if I were you and in your position......I would stick to what your doing now mainly because you mention that you struggle with the part time now so what would you do with full time?

Also, I assume that your present job is somewhat understanding of your situation, they know your work ethic, they know you as a person, etc... If you move on to another job those people do not know you and I doubt they would be understanding like the company your with now.

In a unstable economy I just feel like you need to play it safe......better safe then sorry right? If your days were almost always good I would say Go For It but by the sounds of it that is not the case.

Nice to have more money and some finer things in life but if your not well enough to enjoy the extras then what is the sense,......right.

I do hope your keeping well and be kind to yourself please.:wink2:

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Purplesnowflake,

It is great to hear from you.:)

I can't answer your question. I just wanted to send you some hugs.:hug:I think you know deep down what you need to do. You are the only one that knows if you can handle the job or not.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If this were me, I would not be able to go further for more hours without some adjustment in my home life. Do you have a housekeeper who comes in and cleans, does laundry, etc. for you? Can your husband take over doing meals and shopping when you are worn out from work? Can you get your groceries delivered? What about time to go to dr appts? Would you be doing an 8 to 5 or do you have more flexible hours?

If your husband is encouraging, you and he need to talk seriously about how adjustments would be made if you went into a flare and spent all your energy at your job. Seriously, I know people who do just about that, and when they get home, they are in bed. Weekends are not much different, they are too tired to do much else than sleep. Is the thought of a full time job worth these concessions? Only you can answer these questions. Address it face on and then see what you can do now, and what would you do if you went into a major flare.
I wish you well in whatever you choose to do.
Sally

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Purple snowflake, I had been wondering how you are doing!!!! I had been wondering how you were doing with your legs etc, I have similar problems. I have had to give up work now, reluctantly and with a lot of guilt but definitely for the best. There are still so may things career wise I would love to do, but health wise it is just not possible and it was time for me to accept that. Life is so short and I wanted to give my best time to my family and I am now able to do that. You need to examine your situation and think about what is right for you, usually we know. We just don't always want to listen!!

Take care of yourself, we are here for you.

Deb x

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Thanks for your replies. I have slept on it and thought loads about it. I have had a busy week at work because it's the summer hols so there is no time to do sitting down jobs and my legs have started to protest. I guess I need to listen to them more. I just do n't like admitting it or giving in. i can't help feeling that if I try abit harder I will be able to do everything I want to.
I talked to my daughter about it too and she wants me to be home not at work! Having more money would be nice but I have realised if I do full time at the moment it will be a case of working and sleeping. I will not see my family at all and the ironing will never get done.... It will take over the whole house!
i still feel guilty at not doing more to help finacially. Maybe in the future things will calm down and the perfect job with the perfect hours will come along. Or we could win the lottery:)
Hope you all ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.