The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've just been officially diagnosed with lupus although i've had the symptoms for about a year now and been on Plaquenil for 4 months. It's nice to have an official diagnosis but now im really scared about what will happen for me in the future. Im a newly qualified nurse working in ITU and I never want to give up my work!
It's nice there's a group of people going through the same things as me! I hope I can find some support here and also be helpful to others

Nug x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hello and welcome Nug,

I hope you are coping okay with outcome and symptoms! It's good that you were started on the Plaquneil prior to the diagnoses!

Keep in touch!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Nug and welcome :)

Getting a diagnosis does lead to a mixed bag of feelings. I think many of us are relieved that we finally have answers but it can also be quite worrying as we don't know quite where our illness and treatment will go.

At the end of the day, it is best to try and just take things one day at a time and hopefully you will be one of the many who can carry on much as normal with treatment. If not, you will need to adopt that tactic to best cope with the unpredictability of the disease and learn to make lifestyle changes like pacing yourself and avoiding stress which will help you get through your days better.

Hopefully the plaquenil will make a big difference to you, if it hasn't already kicked in.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Nug, Glad you obviously enjoy your job. I hope it goes well for you. Many girls with Lupus can work. I can't unfortunately but I do have other conditions too.
Nice to meet you.
x Lola

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Nug

Welcome to the Forum :) I know you will find plenty of useful advice and information here. Please remember that many of the members that post here are either newly diagnosed, seeking a diagnosis or are at the sicker end of the scale. There are many others out there who are far too busy to post here - leading ordinary lives with their Lupus under good control:) Thats the good news!

I hope that with the minimum of medications and lifestyle adjustments you can manage a long career alongside your Lupus.

Looking forward to getting to know you

Take care for now
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
368 Posts
:welcome:nug! I'm also an RN. I've had lupus for 13 yrs, RA for aout 2 yrs. I workked until last Jan, when diagnosed with breast cancer. I loved my job,too! Sign up for FMLA ASAP, that way, if you miss work because of illness, it can't be held against you! Controlled lupus shouldn't interfere with your job! Cathy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone, nice to meet u all. Cathy - it's very reassuring to hear from another nurse who managed to work for a long time alongside having lupus - I really hope it doesnt get in my way! What is FMLA??

Hope everyone is well x

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi nug welcome to the site there is allways someone here to help you and give you great support even if you just want to let some steam of.But we do have some great posts on so you can put your mark on it i have done one on age so if you want to add to it feel free speak to you soon :) Elisabeth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts