The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

My name is Lynne and i was diagnosed with Lupus in 98..

I really need some help or any information as i am being put on the medication Azathoprine in a few weeks time and im terrified and not sure if to start on it or not...!!

is anybody on it and if so - has it made a difference ?

Its great to see such a supportive web site and look forward to hearing from anyone xx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lynne! :)

Many of us take azathioprine and find it very helpful with no unacceptable side effects. You'll see numerous threads about it on the medications section of the forum. The brand name is Imuran.
I'm sorry that you need to start on another medicine though, but it would not be prescribed unless there is a need.

Some points:

The manufacturers have to list every conceivable side effect and usually they are referring to its use as transplant or chemo therapy. The doses are different for lupus

Start it very slowly and gradually build up to reduce the risk of tummy upsets. There is no point in starting straight away on the eventual recommended dose and being put off it. Talk to your doctor about this. Doctors often don't think of these things. It takes weeks to be effective anyway.

You'll be tested very frequently at first for hidden side effects, on blood count or liver. Do not miss these tests

I hope you'll find the forum useful in every way. Having lupus is a lonely business as other people don't understand the challenges or don't know enough about the problems to give good advice, even if they are sympathetic and want to help

All the best
:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I can't help you with your specific question on Imuran with respect to personal experience, although I can say many people have taken it here with many benefits from it. You are certainly not alone in your fear of taking a drug that lists some pretty scary side effects, but as Clare already mentioned the side effects listed tend to be less at the doses used for lupus than the dosages used for the drugs original purpose(s).

You can try doing a search of the forum for "Imuran" or "azathioprine" and pull up some old threads on the topic as well. The medications forum will likely have some threads on this medication in particular.

Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here. I hope you will give the Imuran a try & that it will produce a good improvement for you. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

You have already received good advice, especially about starting slowly when taking imuran.

I have been taking it for about 8 months now and have had no side effects at all. It has helped to control my disease activity and has brought my bloodwork pretty much back to normal. It has also helped me a lot with brain fog issues and made me "function" a lot more normally.

Good luck with it,
Katharine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A big thank you

thanks to Clare,Maia & Katherine for responding to my post .....:)

Its really great to know im not alone and do hope i can get to grips with this site ...

Im not very good at admitting im ill and explaining to people all the time - ' that there not love bites on my neck and why i love to sleep so much ' !!!

Yes i think it is a very lonely disease - and very misunderstood !!

but nice to know others out there are knowing what im feeling and how frustrating it is to deal with !

i will read up more on the meds and will let you know the decision i make ...

thanks again x:wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
support

Hi Lynne
If you read my post, its very similar to yours!! Every time I tell someone I have Lupus I feel as if I have acheived something. It is such an invisible condition. I know just what you mean about the frustration and misunderstandings. Joining this site has let me read up on symptoms, meds, etc; and made me realise that others are in the same boat. Best of luck to you.
:thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts