TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am not sure where I am going from here, but...I have been feeling tired for the past few years, every year I went to the DR and they would check my labs, CBC, thyroid and all norm. Tell me it is cause i have 3 kids and work full time.

I just knew inside me that not every woman/mother could feel this way. So this year I found a wonderful DR!!! She did the normal lab workup, all ok, then sent me to a sleep DR. All tests ok there. then about 2 weeks ago my feet started in with the Raynaud's stuff. So she wanted to see me, and she tested the ANA.

It was 1:160, so she is gonna retest in a couple of weeks and see where we are. I seem to lose more hair when I get stressed, I have anxiety issues, terrible low back pain, (just thought I had a bad back) (MRI norm this last yr), my R bunion kills me at times, low libido, and all that goes with that, and the fatigue is unbearable at times. Sometimes I feel like i just cant go on. Also the incredible photosensitivity, with extreme rash from even 10 minutes or less in the sun.

Thank you for reading my rant, just all so overwhelming, yet dont know where i go from here.

She said if the other ANA is positive also, then we will be doing other testing and diagnosis stuff.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are a lot of caring and compassionate people here, as well as a lot of information and support :) Sounds like you have found a great GP - that's wonderful. If there is any question in the diagnosis in the future, you should know that rashes can be an important sign for a doctor to see (& some dermatologists will take a biopsy to aid in diagnosing lupus).

If the second one is also positive, she may order additional blood tests herself for more specific autoantibodies. You may also be referred to a rheumatologist who specializes in diagnosing autoimmune disease. If you are diagnosed with lupus, you can learn a lot about the disease and how to manage it with many tips on this site and from your physicians of course too. Sunscreen is imperative (as it sounds like you know already!)

In the meantime, you may want to write down any and all symptoms you've had in the past several years as they can be surprisingly relevant. I know I was taken by surprise a bit when I was diagnosed that my pleuritic chest pain, sun sensitive rash, and mouth ulcers were all quite relevant. I'd had those for a few to several years before my diagnosis and dismissed them as nothing important (in some cases after a visit with a doctor).

I hope you're on the way to finding an answer to what's been causing your ill health, and more importantly **treatment** that will really help.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Mommachubb,

Love that name. Welcome to the site. I hope we can all lend the assistance you need while you are trying to get a diagnosis.

You mentioned getting rashes after being in the sun. Most likely you won't have one when you visit the doctor so take a picture the next time it happens.

Good luck with all your testing.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

thank you all so much for the pointers. I am just concearned. Do you know if in 2 weeks the ANA titer will change all that much? Maybe she is just making sure that it isnt the lab tech error thing, huh?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mommachubb and welcome :welcome:

It's good practice to test it again, sometimes an ANA is positive fleetingly for reasons other than an autoimmune disease. You do however have some symptoms which would indicate there could be something like Lupus going on, so it's best to be followed up.

I'm glad you have a thorough doc who is looking into this for you.

I understand how concerned you must be but please remember what you read here are often the hard to diagnose cases, the very ill, or those who have had a recent bad flare-up. There are many many more people out there living their lives with the help of a few lifestyle changes and a good doctor and medication regime. Try not to worry until you know exactly what's going on and how it is affecting you. Lupus is very treatable these days.

Let us know how your further testing goes, and in the meantime any questions don't hesitate to ask.

love
Lily

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fatigue

how do you all deal with your fatigue? I am a mother of 3, ages 7, 4, and 2. Have a nurseing management position, full time. With a wonderful hubby that is sooo supportive, and stays at home with the little ones, while attending college online.
I nap every weekend, and sometimes when getting home from work. After the sleep studys came back with no sleep disorder I was somewhat relieved, but felt like i was just lazy then.
I just feel like I cant hardly do anything sometimes. cook a meal, rest, do a load of laundry, rest. and so on. Finishing a work day even becomes an effort.
Sorry for the whinning, I was just looking for some advice.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Managing the fatigue is hard - no question about it! I can certainly empathize with your current load of full time work and 3 children to care for... You reach a point where you have to listen to your body, and rest when you need to rest. Once diagnosed, treatment should help lessen the fatigue at least a bit as well.

Take care, write again if you have any new questions ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts