The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sad: Up to now, I had been doing quite well since this all began 2 years ago. Initially treated with 10mg pred and Plaquenil, reduced to 5 mg pred. My initial symptoms were joint pain and fatigue. Over the past year, have had no fatigue, and very minimal occasional joint discomfort, really not interfering with my normal activities which recently included walking several miles at Disney with the family for example.

My labs have always been positive for high DNA, and normal to borderline normal sed rate, and all urines including my weekly at home urine dip sticks had been negative.

Until 2 weeks ago, that is. Upon my return home from a 1 week Florida vacation. I felt absolutely fine. But my dipsticks have consistently, for the past 2 weeks, been trace positive for protein, and trace positive for leukocytes. My formal lab urine analysis was trace positive for protein, 5 to 10 red blood cells per HPF and 5 to 10 white blood cells per HPF. My spot urine protein test was positive, 700 mg. Next test is the 24 hour urine collection.

IF my 24 hour urine confirms the spot urine numbers -- what is ahead for me ???

Will I need a kidney biopsy ? Can I be treated without a kidney biopsy ? Is it common to up the prednisone for a while as a treatment, or is it common to add another med ?

Thanks -- Bogey:sad:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Perhaps you overdid it a little in Florida (walking and too much sunshine?)? I am hopeful for you that this is just a little miniflare and will settle sooner rather than later. I have read about other people flaring up systemically following sunshine exposure...

For me, I recently have had some positive protein results, no more than 1+ though. I was placed on prednisone 20mg for a few weeks with a semi slow taper that resulted in me off it within 2.5 months or so. (Initially pred was for the joint pain only as the U/A results weren't back yet). After they got the U/A results, they added lisinopril which is a blood pressure drug known to "help" the kidneys functioning; and told me to stop taking NSAID's. They gave me one option to try if I really needed it but I decided to just go without.

I would imagine they will also take your blood and check the blood level indicators for kidney functioning, things like BUN, creatinine and GFR. The results of all this, as well as the level of protein being spilled will likely affect how they proceed to treat you. My problem was protein (small amount), plus high creatinine and low GFR. So far for me, only lisinopril for treatment and more frequent U/A tests.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I just went through a similar situation. The Dr ordered a sonogram of both kidneys and a 24 hr urine test. The sonogram came back OK, the 24 hr came back slightly elevated, but not much over normal for protein, rbc and lukocytes...Dr said, we will continue to monitor, but current meds have it under control.

I am on Plaquenil, CellCept, Prendisone (5mg), Cymbalta (for Lupus) Diovan & Crestor (for HBP and Cholesterol).

Dr said that if numbers become elevated to +2 or next sonogram shows scarring to kidneys then they will do a biopsy...he will try to wait on that until absouletly necessary (thank goodness).

I hope all works out as well for you.

Stephanie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts