The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

For the past couple days, I've had some upper back pain, it kind of radiates to my right shoulder. Then this morning, I woke with horrible left ankle pain, and swelling in that ankle. Also the right shoulder pain has been incredible today. I couldn't even lift my right arm, and can barely walk!!!

I was diagnosed with lupus 12 years ago, but have never had severe joint pain or swelling. I've been on plaquenil for about a year.

Is this the way the joint pain typically behaves? I've been under unbelievable stress the past few days, so this could very well be a flare. :sad: Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much!!!

Carlene

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think you should definitely contact your doctor if this is causing you a lot of pain.

The only thing that really strikes me as a bit unusual for a flare is that it is not symmetrical. Are you getting any other symptoms that would support it being a flare (rashes, raised temperature, increased fatigue etc etc).

When my joints swell, it would be both ankles rather than just one, even if one is worse than the other. But I don't generally get severe pain on one side and none on the other. Come to that, if my ankles are swelling my hands are too ....

Upper back pain for me generally means I have pulled a muscle and need some physio, but if you are getting severe pain you need to see a doctor so it can be treated whatever the cause.

feel better soon

raglet

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi
Hope you are feeling better today.
I really think you should get in touch with a doctor, it is very unusual for lupus joint pain to be assymetrical like this.
Do let us know how you get on.
Love
Sara

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI,

I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell. I tend to agree with the others that this doesn't sound typical of lupus joint pain. The back/spine tends to be spared in lupus, and typically the joint pain is worst in the peripheral joints (fingers/feet) and least in the hips and shoulders. Still, with lupus anything is possible, but I'd see a doctor as it may be an injury to the muscles, or possibly refered pain from the lungs.

Either way you have a lo of pain and need assessment and pain relief, possible a short course of pred if it is indeed a flare.

Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon,

X C X

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Everyone!

Thanks so very much for all your responses. I saw my doctor today. Turns out I have a torn ligament. I swear I don't remember injuring my ankle at all. She said sometimes the littlest twist can do it!!!

At least it's not a flare, which is good!!

Again, thanks!!!!

Carlene

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Carlene)))))))))) no wonder your ankle hurt so much, torn ligaments are not much fun :hug:

I'm glad it's not a flare as you suspected, but you still need to rest up, hope someone is around to spoil you rotten :) take care,

love
Lily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts