TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Since a few weeks I have a strange sensation in my left foot, hand and since today also in my left cheek. It is quite difficult to give more info about it since I don't know how to describe the feeling. It is some kind of numb feeling but I can move my hand and foot, it feels more strange from the inside out.

I saw the neurologist a week ago. He did a physical which showed little aberrations in my left side.
I had a MRI of the brain done which showed aspecific white lesions but no more or less that I had back in 2002.
This afternoon I am going for a MRI of the cervical spine.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? :(:(:(

Hugs

Maura:sad:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Maura,

Yes, it does sound pretty familiar. I have neuropathy in my feet which travels up my legs at times. Also in my hands and, at times, numbness in my face.
Mine improves a little when my disease activity improves so, if I'm feeling worse than usual, I also have quite a bit of numbness. When things are under control as they seem to be roughly for the moment then I only have very slight numbness and lack of sensitivity in my feet. The face seems pretty stable and I think that I've got used to it actually.

Has your neuro mentioned doing an EMG at all?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to be of any more help,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Maura, I am sorry that you are trying to deal with yet another symptom
that you don't know about. I am sorry to say that I don't know about it either.
But as you know, there will be several on this board that will come to your aid.
We all help each other around here, and since I don't know your symptom, I
send you lots, and lots of (((((hugs)))). smile

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Maura

There are lots of things that can cause the kind of numbness you describe - ranging from relatively minor to more serious issues.

Its good that the tests so far dont show anything major or specific and I hope the cervical spine MRI turns out okay as well.

Have you had your B12 levels, Blood pressure or thyroid checked recently? Here is a useful link which gives an indication of some of the possible causes.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003206.htm

It also lists a number of questions which are very useful to answer when trying to fnd out the cause - things like frequency, what your were doing at the time, does anything make it worse, when did it start, how long do the sensations last, etc. As with all things with a less than obvious cause its very useful to start keeping a faithful diary of these events so that you are armed with good quality information for your neuro.

I get these sensations from time to time particulary on the left side. I do have high blood pressure and thyroid issues so I usually put them down to this. They are very wierd and hard to describe but definitely they are on the inside of the body. If they were happening several times every day though I would probably be more concerned than I am.

Let us know how you get on with the MRI

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thank you all so much for answering my questions.
It is nice to know that you understand and care and thank you for the hugs.

My blood pressure is normal ( but I take heart meds because of heart arrhythmia) and my thyroid tests are normal too. Thank you for the useful link, Joan.

I saw my neurologist yesterday evening. We talked about the MRI of the brain and cervical spine I had a week ago.
The MRI of the brain showed the same amount of white lesions as the one I had in 2003. The one of the cervical spine was normal.
He did told me that the white lesions are probable caused by lupus or my heart problems ( atrial fibrillation episodes).
For now he suggested just to wait because there was no real change in the MRI.
If it should get any worse he will do an EMG and other neurological tests.
He also told me that he expects the numbness will improve as the flare subsides ( pretty the same thing you told Katharine).
But since I am feeling rather bad today I guess that won't happen soon.

Big hugs

Maura

1 - 5 of 5 Posts