The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was just looking for a bit of advice really, I have a long list of symtoms which could be related to lupus, umm...dont really know where to start, its been going on for about 10 years now, severe tiredness, depression, joint pain, muscular pains, especially legs! Anaemia, photosensitivity, headaches, myalgia, mouth ulcers, I bruise REALLY easily too! I have also had a "heart" thing for about 8 years, the Drs put a 24 hour tape on me, but nothing showed up so they have done nothing else!

I know I am probably being vague, but to me it is sounding like Lupus associated symptoms! I used to be a nurse, so medical knowledge is not a good thing when you KNOW there is something wrong, but the doctors wont do anything! I also have a 16 month old baby and things have been a lot worse since!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Hope I am not being a self diagnosing hypochondriac!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Kirstie and welcome!!

As a nurse, I'm sure that you're well aware of the dangers of self diagnosis and it seems highly unlikely that you're being a hypochondriac :)

You have a set of pretty important symptoms which could well be lupus (or another auto-immune disease) related. You definitely shouldn't be ignoring all this and you need to "insist" until you get a referral to a rheumy.

I can sympathise with it being difficult with a young baby. As is, it's a tiring enough time, but with all that going on too, it's so much worse. I'm so glad mine can do their own sandwiches now :lol: I don't feel obliged to feed them any more when I feel bad!

I hope you get to the bottom of all this soon. It might be a long road but with determination and possibly bugging your GP :lol: (I did that a bit), you'll get there.

keep us posted,
Katharine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Katherine! I am very good at annoying doctors! lol I had lots of practice! I think this is going to be the start of a long journey! Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:welcome: Hello Kirstie, and a warm welcome to this great site. There are a lot of us here that are ex-nurses,
myself included, and it didn't take me long to learn Never,never tell the dr. that you are in any way medically knowledgeable. Sorry, but I can't get this lettering the right size today. Yes, you have a lot of symptoms that could possibly fit into the catagory of autoimmune
diseases. Begin a type of journal right away, nothing fancy, just like what you wrote in your post. Always keep one and a pen, right where you usually watch t.v., and always make a copy of it b/4
your dr visit and hand it to the dr. and tell him that it is for him to put into your files. You need to be seen by a Rheumatologist, he will be the one that will be caring for you , so make sure you like him. When a new and lingering "anything" comes along, write it down. Post here as much as you want, and ask anything you want, no question is off limits here, we are here to help and support you. And maybe
one of the most important things to try to inform yourself with facts as mush as you can. You can find plenty to start with at the front of this site before you get into the message boards. There is gobs more, and if I can ever be of help just point at my name and you can
send me a message, I would be glad to help. Be well, pace yourself and be well.:wink2:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Kirstie,
I spent ages writing a reply to you the other day,pressed the wrong button and lost the lot!:mad: so am trying again.
I have the same symptoms as you and I am an ex nurse too.I have to admit to being quite ignorant of Lupus but in fairness I think it was because the only people who I had come into contact with who had it were very ill.I didn't know you could have milder cases,but I'm learning fast!I too feel like a hypochondriac even though I know in my heart that something is really wrong.You're right,a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing because now I know what the doctors should be doing and they're not which is so frustrating!and they're attitude makes me feel more like a hypochondriac.It's so upsetting because if I know what they should be doing and can't get anywhere what about all the people who don't?Anyway,go make yourself a prize pain in the a... like I am and hopefully you'll get somewhere soon,
Julsie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see that you are a ex nurse. did you stop because of the illness? i qualified last year and in feb this year i have been diagnosed and struggling to attend work. I have been told i must come up with a way to stay at work and dont know what to do!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Kirstie and welcome

I'm pretty much a newbie as well and still very much learning. I'm an ex-nurse too and gave up because I couldn't handle the physicallness of the shifts, that was many years ago and only now as I piece everything together I realise that my symptoms I have just put up with for years.

I've found this forum really useful and supportive and would echo what everyone else says - find yourself a doctor who listens and is supportive but never, ever tell them that you have diagnosed it. I found that just having a discussion with my doctor worked best and he reached his own conclusions based on that. He did refer me a rheummy which hasn't worked but I have confidence that I can go back to my GP and have another good discussion with him.

Best of luck and stay in touch

Maz

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Excuse me ladies but this thread goes back over a year to September 4, 2007 and Kirstie hasn't even visited since September 16, 2007. :)
Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:) Not to worry - it was a nice post and who knows how it could have helped somebody reading it even if not the addressee.
I hope you can get some answers soon Maz
Cheers
Clare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts