TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there
just had a prescription for amitripyline.
wondering about others experiences of taking it to improve sleep cuz its new to me the dr said it will help with my pain management. other opinion welcome

·
Registered
80 Posts
amitrytiline

Hi lupus chick,
Ihave been prescribed this and have been taking it for about a month and I can honestly say it has been very helpful. At first I didnt want to take it as i read it was an antidepresent, but Doc said to try it as it is a low dose and should help with pain and help get better sleep. Apparently it helps you to sleep deeper and this helps the body to relax and eases the pain during the night. Are you waking in the night and not able to get comfy and drop off?
Give it a go and let us know how you get on.
luv sue.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't hear very many problems from the people here regarding this medication. Be sure to take it at night because it definitely will help you sleep then ;) It is best at helping nerve pain I believe as it was prescribed for me while waiting for my elbow surgery for cubital tunnel release. It helped me for that, it is also good for fibromyalagia pain.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi,
I take it for sleep and it helps my pain at night. I have sleept really good since I have started taking it.
I also found out I need to take it a few hours before I do go to bed. I thought I had to take it just before and instantly fall alseep. That did not happen for me. I take it at 8pm and go to bed around 11:30 pm.

I hope you have good luck with it like I do. I take 25 mgs. What mg. is yours?

Take care,

Lyn

·
Registered
184 Posts
hey there...:hello: I take amytriptaline and have been for over 2 yrs. I started taking it for stomach pain and some anxiety, before diagnosed with lupus (SLE). I take 25 in the am and 25 in the pm, its very hard to make me sleepy so I don't think it helps me there (I did go up from 25 to 50 just recently) but others it does, its propbably the most tolerable RX for depression, anxiety and nerve pain with little side effects besides the deaded weight gain:mad:
Good luck on it and I hope it helps you!!:)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
lupus chick,

I have been taking the cousin to amitryptaline for almost 5 years now. The one I take is Nortryptaline which is what the amitryp becomes after your liver processes it. It is supposed to have less dry mouth but I take a relatively high dose so I still get dry mouth. I take 60mg a night and take it right after dinner. I have a slow GI tract so it takes several hours to have an affect on me. Many doctors will say 2 hours before your normal bedtime but mine takes 3-4 hours to start working.

The only thing for me in the beginning was severe drowsyness in the mornings, it took a few days once I reached 30mg for the drowsy problem to go away. I have to balance between a high enough dose to get good sleep and being alert enough in the daytime to be as active as I would like to be. I have been as high as 100mg in the past.

Take care,
karen

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im starting a small dose of 10mg and increasing it every 2 weeks to see how i get on dr says he dont want me sleepy in the day. so will have to see how i get on

·
11,405 Posts
I was sleepy the first day after I took it.
I called my doctor and he said when my body gets use to it, I won't be so sleepy during the day. He said to give it a couple of weeks to see how I was doing on it. The first day was my only day I was sleepy.

Good luck,
Lyn

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
My wife has used this for sleep for several years now.
She started using it because she was having troubke sleeping do to itching.
It helped and her doctor has continued to prescribe it for her.
She does not use it all the time just when needed.
Her doctor told her to use it when needed and if she did not use it all the time it would continue to work better at small doses.
Normally what she will do is take it if she is having probalems and knows she will have trouble sleeping or if she goes to bed and just cant get to sleep.

It seems to be one that is used for alot of diferent reasons.
But so far I have not heard any negatives from anyone on it here yet.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
amitriptyline

hi lupue chick i have been on amitriptyline for years started on them for a combination of depression and pain i take 150mg at night but i pulled a muscle in my back last year and was put on morphin 30mg at night 10mg in the morning so doc asked if i would come down to100mg as i was taking the morphine said yes started on that but i am now back up to 150mg at night cut down on the morphine to 20mg at night 10 in the morning so i would say to you give them a try hope they help you good luck

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have been taking this for several years now to help ease the pain in my shoulders and to help me sleep. I take 40mg at night. I know when I don't take it as I don't have the same quality of sleep when I don't take it as to when I do, so yes it helps me.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Lupus Chick,
When your dose increases a bit you may find you are bothered by a dry mouth in the mornings.
I found this a good medication but it clashed with something else I took, and the combination gave me swollen legs. As the other tablet was more vital the Ami had to be stopped.
x Lola

1 - 13 of 13 Posts