The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have just been diagnosed with Lupus and the doctor is doing furher tests to see what area of my body it has affected.

I am writing this today as I have taken a sick day from work as I am so tired/ aching/ have a cough and a headache - is this all to do with my Lupus? It would be nice to know if this was my Lupus causing this as it is distressing :worried:

Thanks people :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I'm also new to this so I am by no means an expert. I haven't had a proper diagnosis yet but I was referred to a dermatologist last week who is convinced I have Lupus and he has put me on steroids while he awaits the results of my blood tests etc, although my ANA test came back negative. I just wanted to say that I know how you feel, I felt exactly the same as that for the last couple of weeks and my consultant said he thought it was part of the Lupus. He said to have complete rest and keep taking ibuprofen/paracetamol. I started to feel a bit better yesterday although my joints are bad today.

Hope you feel better soon
Suzie

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
seeing you have a cough, I wonder if you have a cold/flu or other virus. Hope you feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Kalula and welcome :)

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It can be a bit scary and distressing to begin with but you will soon feel better informed and more at ease.
Has the doctor started you on treatment yet? The treatment can take quite a while to work as baseline drugs like plaquenil work on the longterm but they will hopefully make a huge difference and get you back to feeling much better very soon.

As to what is causing your current symptoms, that's a pretty tough question. Lupus can cause flu like symptoms when you are flaring (though a cough is more unusual), however, we have to be very careful not to automatically put everything down to lupus when we may just have something that can be easily treated.

Basically, if anything goes on too long or becomes serious symptom wise then you need to go down and see your GP about it.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Kalula,
Welcome to the site.
Lupus certainly can cause all sorts of symptoms, however if you feel the cough is turning nasty. for instance coughing up mucus, short of breath or similar it would be good to let your GP listen to your chest,
x Lola

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Kalulu,

Welcome to the board, It is nice to meet you.:)

Being first dxed with lupus is a roller coaster ride of emotions.
Once you get on the right treatment of meds, you will start to feel better.

When we do catch a cold/cough it sometimes takes us longer to get over it than the average person. I just thought I would give you a heads up on that.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

I know from experience how scary it is being told you have a chronic illness but it isn't the end of the world.:)

Everyone is affected differently and you do tend to analyse every ache and pain. Over time, with knowledge and experience you learn how your body reacts and when it's time to see a doctor.

Please feel free to ask questions, there is always someone who can help or offer a friendly word.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi there and Welcome to the site, I am sure as you read the posts on the site you will learn all kinds of things about lupus... there are so many different symptoms... And when you ask a question on here there is usually someone on here who has a pretty good answer for you... This is also a great support site... You will meet people who understand what you are going through... And dont think you are crazy when you sometimes think you are yourself....The support is wonderful... I have been a member for along time...
As for as your question goes.. Headaches are often related to lupus, as far as the cough goes I dont know... You may have a cold... of course someone else my be able to answer that better than me... Anyway here is a big :welcome: and I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do...

Love Penny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts