TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm looking to find information about this topic. I'm about to start a relationship with a woman who has Lupus is there anything I should know so I'm medicaly safe?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi and welcome Fred1052!

Not sure what you mean by medically safe! If you mean can you catch it, then the answer is no!

The home page of this site lists many things that will enlighten you about the illness!

Regards

Lesley

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello Fred ,
You have found a great site to learn from ! You will find a lot of information here please share the site also with your friend ,you both will find a great deal of support here . I have been a member for a few years now .
I think the answer to your question is you will be safe as you can not catch lupus . I thank you for taking the time to find out about lupus the more you know and understand the more you will be able to be supportive in your relationship.There is alot on this site to learn from .I have found the people on here have been great to help me by being supportive and let me know I am not alone.Feel free to ask questions .Someone here will try to answer them or tell you where to look for the answer.

My Boyfriend of 8 years has learned alot from just going thru it with me I wish he would have taken the time to reach out more in the begining . But he is great he knows at this point when I am having a hard time .He understands alot today about lupus. He helps to remind me when I am over doing it to slow down or to take better care of myself.

Good Luck

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Perhaps you are thinking it is something like HIV/AIDS but it can't be caught or transmitted so you dont need to be worried about that

Probably the hardest things to realise about lupus is that it is a very variable disease. It affects people differently because it is a complex multisystem disease, and the symptoms vary in severity from person to person.
It is not necessarily progressive and often waxes and wanes. You can feel more or less fine one day or for several weeks or months or even years but then it can surge into activity again unpredictably.

So you need to find out how your friend is affected by it and how it affects her life and learn how best to deal with those effects.

There are some "Letters" that give an idea of the sorts of problems that might be encountered, on the Family and Friends section of the forum. The Relationships and Living with Lupus sections also give insights into the difficulties we face in relationships.

Some additional understandings have to be reached when forming a worthwhile relationship with somebody with any chronic condition.

:)

Good Luck
Clare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts