The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 33 year old single mother of two that was just diagnosed with lupus. The only reason I found this out is because of my pregnancy with my daughter 1 1/2 years ago when I had pre-eclampsia and had her 6 weeks prematurely. I have always went to doctors complaining of being overly tired all the time, having wierd rashes, infections in the iris of my eye, and ulcers all over my mouth. They always treated them seperately and never put two and two together. Now I know why I was having all this "stuff" happening.
Since I have a name for it now, I want to know more and more. I need to talk to someone with lupus to give me ideas and suggestions on where to go and what to do. It's hard getting my family to understand what I am going through. They, as well as myself, do not know enough about it.
I have looked at my county health department and they do not know of any support group near Quincy, Il. except St. Louis which is about 2 1/2 hours away. Can someone lead me into the right direction?

·
Inky
249 Posts
Welcome to the group Isa
I am from the UK so cannot help with local contacts. Have you looked on the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA) website it is very good.

http://www.lupus.org/newsite/index.html

You will get a lot of help and support on this list, to help you adjust to this weird illness.

Family take a long time to adjust sometimes, so maybe print some info off from the LFA website for them. I find giving people leaflets helps them both to understand and to take it seriously.

Welcome again to the list
Love Sara
x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there and welcome :)

I am in pretty much the same boat as you as, although Belgium is incredibly small there are no support groups anywhere near me (I think there is one in Flanders but I don't speak Flemish). I am lucky being an expat I can turn to English sites for info and support. I often wonder what all those French speakers do, they must be terribly lost.

I have found these message boards to be an incredible source of information and, of course, wonderful support. In the beginning the sheer volume of info can seem overwhelming but with time it will piece together and you will know a lot more about what's going on.

I hope you enjoy being here and feel free to post about any questions you have.

Katharine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I have just recently been diagnosed as well so I am still learning a lot myself. My hubby suggested that i find a support group to join so I am trying to find one around my area also. I can say that everyone here has been great and has really helped me through some difficult days so you ahve already found one wonderful support system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts