The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly have always been healthy. I'm a 32 yr old mother of 5 year old twins.

I saw my doctor yesterday because Thursday I fell down. Not a bad fall. Friday I woke up with a low grade fever & a shallow pain when I breathed deeply. I thought maybe I cracked a rib. I went to the ER. Nothing broken & diagnosed a chest wall contusion. I carried on with my weekend.

Monday I woke up & both knees were swollen & had fluid. I had trouble walking. On Tuesday I woke up & my ankle AND both knees were swollen with fluid. I could barely walk. :( I called the doctor & went in.

When she saw my legs she was VERY concerned & said I probably have an autoimmune disorder. I started crying. (mind you, had no clue what that meant) She said it could be a viral fluke, but more than likely it was lupus, RA, or a few other lesser known disorders. I have no other "flu" like symptoms.

I will have my blood work back on Friday.

She gave me steriods & an anti-inflammatory. They worked almost instantly. I am still stiff, but not nearly as swollen & hardly any fluid. AND, I can walk almost normally.

I did some online research regarding Lupus & RA. It was when I came here I read about the rash/hives. For 2 months now I've been breaking out in hives & my skin will get so inflamed & itch like mad. The first time was when I left a tanning salon. I figured I was allergic. Since then it almost always happens outside... I started thinking I was allergic to grass. It mostly happens on my feet (top & bottom) or my hands. And it hurts, burns & itches. A few times it's happened on my thighs - normally after I work out. Once on my stomach. Never on my face. I had an appt with my derm, but was unable to make it & have not rescheduled, yet.

Fatigue is a huge part of my life & has been since I had newborn twins. So, I never consider that a sign of anything other than LIFE! I have been tested for mono a few times, Lyme, vitamin levels, etc. Last year my vitamin levels were dangerously low & I had been a vegetarian for a year. Instead of seeing a nutritionist - I started eating meat again gradually. It helped, somewhat.

Anyways, I'm rambling.

I don't have any other major signs, but I am here lurking, reading & my results will come back Friday.

Thanks for listening. :)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Lola and welcome :)

It sounds like you have a good doc that listens and who has at least thought of an Auto-immune disease.

I don't know how you feel about all this now - you mentioned being upset at the docs - but please, don't panic about it or think that you will never feel good again. If it is lupus or another auto-immune disease treatment has improved a great deal over the years and the majority of people go back to near normal lifestyles.

If you are reading through these boards do bear in mind that most of the people who post here regularly are not necessarily representative of the "typical" lupus population. A lot of people here are not yet diagnosed like yourself or newly diagnosed and looking to answer all their questions. We also then have those who lupus affects more severely and it is important to remember that those people are not the majority.

Keep us posted on the results of your blood tests. Even if they come back negative you may want to ask your doc about getting a referral to a rheumatologist just to be sure that all bases have been covered. Your doc sounds clued up but most GPs won't ask for the very specific blood tests that a rheumy would ask for.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Lola,

Welcome to the site!

You certainly have lots going on with you! I hope that the blood results will come up with some answers and an appropriate treatment plan can be put in place!

I would definately seek out a Rhuematologist and get that appointment for the Dermatologist re-scheduled asap regardless of any results!

Take care!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies & support. My doc is quick - I already have a rheumatologist referral. She does not want to waste any time - which is a little bit scary.

I was definitely upset at the doc's because I went in thinking this was all caused by my FALL & was a bit shocked to hear about an autoimmune disorder. Frankly, because I had never heard that term. So, you can imagine how I felt.

I spent a lot of time with her asking questions & doing my internet research & I know that whatever the outcome, I will be okay.

I will let you know. :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Lola, I am a Lola too!
Lupus often surfaces after a hormonal event so the fatigue after your twins my well be significant.
Try not to worry until you get your results. The fact that steroids helped does seem to confirm that whatever is the matter it is inflammatory in nature.
If it is Lupus treatment can really help but may be a little slow to take effect.
Please let us know!
x Lola

Is Lola your real nam?.It is the name of my beautiful cat. She was previously called Dotty but I wanted a pretty name for her.

I would suggest you call me Dawn if it helps but we have another Dawn here too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.