The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..new to the site. I've been waiting a long time after positive RNP antibody test and lots of clinical issues to get to Rheum. One more week and I'm there. Today I got results on a second RNP that is negative. I have a weak RF, negative ANA and negative for pretty much all else except seizures that have plagued me for years. I have very tender fingers, one shoulder and one hip with tendonitis and bursitis. Fatigue of course that comes and goes. Any experience with antibody tests being positive then turning negative? Thank you! Thanks! Ceejay

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi ceejay :). [ i am new too ;) ]
it happens to me all the time i asked once about it and rhummy said the bloods are just a guild you have to look at the whole picture. he said we are like a jigsaw and you have to put all the pieces together.
a tip hun write everything down like a shopping list if your anything like me you will forget 80% of your health problems. hugs nic

sorry everyone else i am on board and reading you will all be soon thinking oh no its her again. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Ceejay and welcome to the board.

I always have a positive RNP yet some of the other antibodies I test positive for will wax and wane. My RNP is not outrageously high yet always positive.

Blood work can and will vary from draw to draw but a good doctor will look at the results to your blood work, genetics and other family members with auto immune issues, your complaints and symptoms, etc....and make a diagnosis based on all of these put together.

Diagnosing a auto immune disorder is like putting the pieces of a puzzle together and eventually getting a clear picture. Each person is different and we all experience different symptoms and yet a lot of the same stuff too.

I hope you get some concrete answers and get on with feeling better. Join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
4,446 Posts
hi Ceejay... I was diagnosed with MCTD last year, had RNP positive, Ana 1;640 speckled pattern; everything else negative.... then in Nov after a massive flare put me in hospital the RNP was negative when tested at the Lupus Hospital, London Bridge!! My Rheumy said this can happen.... a Rheumy in the Caribbean with alot of Lupus patients said it can't... must have been a lab error...so even they disagree!:rotfl: This is a general pattern amongst Rheumys/Drs dealing with auto immune disease because they are so complex. Anyway just had bloods done again a couple months ago but don't know the results. yet.. not sure it matters anymore, still need my meds and to look after myself, whatever my RNP is doing! I wish you well and hope you find some answers soon.
Claire XX

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Ceejay,

We met in chat last night so just wanted to welcome you again.

The others are right that bloods can be notoriously unreliable. I hope that appointment goes well, keep us posted :)

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Ceejay, just wanted to wish you well at your rheumy appt next week. Take photos of all rashes and a list of your symptoms. Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good question about the RNP. I wondered the same thing. I guess I just assumed it would always be positive no matter what-- or maybe the meds we are on changed that?? Who knows. I do know the last two times my RNP was positive. Would love to hear how your labs turn out. How often do the docs do labs? hmmmm.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.