The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is my first post.

I have not been formally diagnosed with anything, but like the rest of you have copious symptoms!

These include pain in legs (helped by Diclofenac) but glad I live in a bungalow cos getting up stairs is a nightmare, redness across nose and cheeks, Raynauds occasionally but cold hands most of the time, absolutely shattered from time to time, lose thread of thought in mid-sentence etc etc.

Negative ANA tho' and only slightly raised ESR.

Was referred to Rheumatologist but because all tests came back negative I was discharged. I have now had 15 months of symptoms and GP is trying Azathioprine just to see if it makes a difference.

Gosh - how frustrating is this!

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Seaside
Welcome to the board. I am fairly new here too although diagnosed since 2000. It took nearly a year to get my diagnosis. I think there are some people here who have negative ANA but a diagnosis of Lupus. Your symptoms sound very familiar to me, expecially the painful legs and woolly brain - but I have learnt that lots of auto-immune diseases have these or similar symptoms and diagnosis is not easy. Your GP sounds good though, which is a real bonus.
Welcome again... I hope you find what you need here.
Love
Sara

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi seaside and welcome :welcome:

Was it recently you were discharged from the Rheumy and have any tests been done lately?

It's good you have your GP on side, but Azathioprine is a fairly serious medication to be taking without a diagnosis and it's certainly not the first one that people are placed on. Plaquenil is a more common one and will bring the disease under control in many cases without the need for things like Aza or the other more potent drugs.

If you haven't seen a Rheumy lately then I would revisit that, things can and do change over time and diagnosis is made by observing the patient over time and doing regular blood and urine tests.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:)Hi there Seaside, and a very warm welcome to this great site, I hope you like it and continue to stay. Lupus is called the disease of 1,000 faces, so you can imagine now why it is so hard to diagnose. There is "no" one blood test that can say wether or not you have Lupus. The blood tests are a guideline for the dr. You have to become very informed, as knowledge is power, and that is what you need. There is a mountain of great info and facts at the front of this site, before you get to the message boards. If it were me, I would make a follow-up appointment. Before you go, write down your personal medical history, all of your symptoms, and meds that you are taking, and I would add; how this is interrupting your daily life. Make a copy, you keep one to look at, bring home and up-date as needed.Give the other one to the Rheumy and tell him this is for you to put into my file, then it is there for him to read
because he will never remember. I hope this helps, I didn't mean to run off at the mouth, but there is no question that you can't ask here,and our goal here is to help support each other. So keep posting, and keep us informed.:wink2::rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts