The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! My name is Jen and I am 30 years of age. I was posting on a different site and decided to branch out and do more research and such. Going back to when I was first born I had bleeding tendancy issues. At the age of 5 my immune system attacked my platelets (ITP) and threw out the years leading into adulthood I suffered with joint pain and easy bruising.. I was always tested for Lupus but it was always negative.. I was tested for Arthritis but that too would always come back negative. I had three pregnancies and only two full term deliveries. I bled with both pregnancies. I have always had issues with sun light.. making me sick and then eventually causing rashes and blisters.. I would get sick and it would take forever to fight that infection. At the age of 28 I began having abnormal paps and then my uterus was moderate to severely prolapsed. I had a hysterectomy. In march of this year I went to my ob feeling very ill. I would get dizzy spells, have cold hands and my hair was falling out. He did a few tests and one of which was the Lupus ANA which was high.. I was positive but bc a positive ANA is not a * Diagnosis* I had to have more test done and see a rhuemie.. and so i did. I also had low T3 levels so I was sent for an ultrasound that shows a nodule and inflamation.. and I was told I had Hoshimotos.. By then my world was spinning. I ended up catching a viral infection and instead of having high white cell count I had a low one.. it was below normal so back to the Rheumie.. he did more blood work and more testing. I have mild enlargment of my spleen and mild scarring of my kidney.. I tested negative on all the standard Lupus blood work except for another positive ANA.. Today I had anther few tubes of blood taken.. I have also had an EEG test done (waiting on those results).. I was put on beta blockers for a racing heart and prehypertention.. My platelet count has dropped but still in the lower end of normal. I was told I do have Lupus and I also have hoshimotos.. its been overwhelming to say the least.. It is bittersweet. I just turned 30 and feel like it has been down hill since then! LOL
I have so many appointments lined up and was told that I would need to be treated for Lupus but that we would wait until the newest blood work came back and until my thyroid issues were addressed. Is it normal to have a lower white cell count after an infection and is it normal to have two autoimmune issues ?? Well that is about it for now.. I am happy to have found this sie.. it is by far the best I have found!! :thumbs: Now I am off to nap.. this tired - exhausted feeling is getting to me!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and :welcome:

I'm sorry that I can't answer some of your more technical questions relating to bloods and platelets but I wanted to welcome you here :)

It is definitely possible to have two or more auto-immune things going on. I myself have hashimotos and SLE as well as a polymyositis overlap and possible APS.

I think that the rheumy is waiting to see what happens with your symptoms when the thyroid problems stabilise because many symptoms of thyroid problems can be similar to those of lupus.

I'm sure that you will enjoy being here. I would have been completely lost without this site. I have learnt a lot here, made some great "cyber" friends and received bucketfuls of support when needed :)

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Well thank you for the nice welcome.. I want to post and search but it is raining.. thunder and lightening out there so its best I get off line and shut the comp off.. I will post again after the storm passes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am back ...

Well after lookng back at my blood work I noticed that the T3 is still low and the T4 and TSH levels were higher then they are now. I just emailed my aunt who said she had to have her thyroid completely removed. I was shocked.. there are a few different types of autoimmune disorders on both sides of my family.. its crazy. I am still beyond tired and so the thought of having to wait for thyroid meds stinks. I just want to feel "normal" again!:lol:
I did call the Rhuemy and he said that once I'm treated for my thyroid issues that wil elp him decide what Lupus medicine to start me on.. so you are correct! I have to wait and see what my newest blood work will show. I am doing it all over.. he said that sometimes you will get positives when you have no symptoms and have symptoms and all negatives.. which made me laugh because growing up my pediatrician would have me come in and randomly test for Lupus.. now I know why!

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Getting a diagnosis can be a real shock even though you have known something has been wrong all along. Hopefully we can help you through this difficult period. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Our members are more than willing to help.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Jennannshear,

Welcome to the site.

It certainly is a roller coaster ride of emotions when told we have lupus.

Being fatigued is one of the huge complaints we have. I have learned to listen to my body and go lay down and take a nap. If I don't it only means more pain and fatigue.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Jennashear, just wanted to welcome you to the site. It is a very friendly place full of loads of helpful info. You seem to have a lot going on at the moment, I hope things calm down for you soon and that with proper treatment you soon start to feel better.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Jennannshear and welcome to this site,

Certainly you have had lots of things going on and I too hope that you get the correct meds started soon.

Looking forward to hearing more from you or even meeting you in our chat room!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Jenna,
I think thyroid problems are fairly common amoungst lupies.
I have SLE plus Raynauds and have had a partial thyroidectomy following nodules.
Incidently low blood counts ........white and red, are part of my disease. Its a bit of a nuisance since they don't always correspond to how I feel:sad:

Good luck and welcome again to the boards

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all..

Loving the support! :more:
Got up early this morning to get my food shopping done.. long stoy short I went in to the food store and the manager came running out to ask me how I got in and told me they do not open for another hour! :rotfl: I should have been embaraced but I was too annoyed and tired! And well the doors were locked but I pulled them open thinking that they were not working right!
I have no energy these days.. not sure if it was triggered by the viral infection or if I got the viral infecton because my body was down for the count prior.. either way it is what it is.. I go to see my new family doctor today.. at 2:45.. I can not wait. I hope he is as good as every one says that he is!

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I hope your appointment went well.

Thanks for the laugh. Your story about the store was priceless. I can just imagine myself in the same situation due to brain fog, except I probably couldn't get the door open. I hope you eventually got your groceries.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Hello,

I want to welcome you to the site. I believe you will find everyone here very supportive and helpful.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Take Care,
Sandy

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am glad my story made you laugh.. it surely was the talk around here that made everyone laugh as well.. :rotfl:
My app was ok. I came home and had a bit of a brake down and posted about it and cried some more and then laughed and now this morning I am trying to embrace my fatigue and well lay back down..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit brighter today. These things are so emotionally exhausting that we just need some time for it to filter through and then get back to moving forward :)

hugs :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am back..

I just received a phone call this afternoon from the Rheumologist who said based on my symptoms and my newest blood work (not all is back) that he is placing a call into my pharmacy for me to start on a moderate dose of prednisone. I was on this steroid back in 1984 for a long time because of my ITP. I am hoping that this will help me. I need to do some research on this .. I was told by a friend that they need to know if you have thyroid issues.. And I do so I am assuming that I can Google and read other’s posts and get more answers about this drug.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. One thing you will learn to handle is a lot of blood missing from almost every appointment LOL, and needing naps like a baby LOL. I am glad that you have found your answers and that you are on the road to treatment finally.

It is very common to have multi immune probles and for them to overlap with the issues of pain, fatigue, and illnesses. I am sorry usually I am better with my words and spelling but seem to be having a rough time of it tonight. I did want to say that we are here for you and someone here can always help you with advise day or night.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! I appreciate every word... I honestly do.
Oh I struggle with spelling - typing all the time lately.. I am forever having to proof read so that others do not think I am not intelligent enough LOL
I start the prednisone tomorrow.. the pamphlet said to take your once a day dose before 9am?! So I will begin tomorrow morning.. I know when I was little and on this I gained weight fast... I am hopeful that it will not affect my weight.. only time will tell I guess. Well I am off to sleep.. tired :hehe:

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
The side effects of prednisone can be awful. You just have to balance the possible positive effects with the side effects. I hope the prednisone work quickly for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have MCTD, Hoshimotos, and who knows what all as still in the waiting process. I am not able to take thyroid meds right now though as I have to have a nuclear scan first and have to be levothyroxine free for 6 weeks before they can do it. I still have over two weeks to go! It reallly stinks as I STAY exhausted! I am also on prednisone and it helps me so much! Hopefully you will be feeling better soon! (((HUGS)))
Angie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Prednisone does help then.. I was worried I would take it and gain weight, have nasty side effects and still feel like crap. I was talking with my parents about when I had that ITP and how I was on the medication (prednisone).. I guess I was on high doses at the time. The doc gave me 5mg to be taken four at a time ... so 20.. I DO not ever ever ever take meds and so when they put me on beta blockers at their lowest dose of 25mg I cut those in half and they worked .. the cardiologist was shocked and said its was probably because my body is not use to the medication so it took fast to a small dose.. so I guess my question is, could I just start of with 10mg and see how that helps?? How long before you notice any help from it?? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to figure out my lupus and thyroid.. bare with me. I know I need to assess the thyroid ultrasound first.. in four weeks is the next app.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.