TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this? My hair is thinning and with summer coming on I was asking my hairdresser if she knew of any product that had an SPF in it for the scalp. She said this product made by nioxin had a leave in scalp treatment with an SPF of 15. Have any of you ever used it? I just don't know if it would make my hair greasy.

Also, do any of you have very itchy scalps? Not sure if this is due to the Lupus or the recent starting of MTX.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi,
I have never heard of until I read your post.
Maybe your hairdresser could answer if it would make your hair greasy.

I have hair loss but figured it was due to all the meds I take.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello

If there are concerns about UV exposure on the scalp only a UVproof hat with a wide brim will be useful. An SPF15 is as good as useless in my opinion.
:)
Clare

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi there,
I've heard of nioxin, but for different a reason. I heard it was great for thinning hair. You can buy it at salons. If you look it up on the internet it will give you locations in your area where you can find it. I use the hairspray and it's great. It's a little expensive, especially if you buy the whole line, shampoo, conditioner and gel. Maybe someone else can be of more help if they have tried the shampoo or other products.

Angie

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, My son tried Nioxin for thinning hair, He complained that it made his scalp burn and did not use it very long. We bought it at a Beauty Supply House. I was told people taking chemo use it. Sorry I could not be of more help. Rosie

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Hi, I only ever use Nioxin. I use the shampoo/conditioner. It cleanses the scalp of DHEA and plumps out whatever hair you have. I have terrible thinning hair at the front and my hair is so much better after over 6 months continuous use. i wouldn't buy it from a salon tho, you can get great deals on Amazon or google it for buying online. Ohh don't buy the packs as they are more expensive. I would reccomend it highly to anyone as although it appears to be expensive a bottle of shampoo lasts me three months and I wash my hair daily. I use double the amount of conditioner though. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have just heard about this on another forum. I am very keen to give it a try.I do not have huge problems but my air is not as good as it was. Also my Son is paranoid about losing his hair. His Dad is fairly bald, so were both Grandfathers.

This thread has come at just the right time.
x Lola

·
Registered
416 Posts
I tried Nioxin three years ago, per the recommendation of a cosmetologist, because my hair was thinning. I have always had very oily hair and scalp requiring shampooing every 24 to 36 hours. When I tried Nioxin for only a few days, my hair got so greasy it was slathered to my head, then my hair started falling out in clumps. I quit using it immediately, went back to my clarifying shampoo and the problem eventually improved but I then developed Seborrheic Dermatitis (diagnosis confirmed by my GP) which causes itching and burning of eyelids, eyebrows, scalp and ears which requires daily shampooing with a shampoo specifically for Seborrheic Dermatitis (clarifying shampoo no longer works) Plaquenil has helped to lessen skin issues overall, including the itching and burning of Seborrheic Dermatitis affected areas.

Cosmetologists know nothing about medical problems but they want to believe they do. I recommend you discuss the problem with your GP or a dermatologist.

Barb

·
4,430 Posts
Hiya, yes I posted about Nioxin on a previous thread to help thinning hair.. I only know about it because my daughter works in a hair salon where people use it and say it helps alot... didn't realise there was a sun factor in it...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts