The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a check up with my regular doctor and asked her to order the test for lupus. I work in a lab as a specimen accessioner and have seen the codes for lupus tests and I don't believe she did. All I was told of my blood results is that I have a slightly elevated cholesterol level and nothing else. Should I make an appointment with a rhuemy doc and voice my concerns with him, as my mom has lupus and wants us kids to get tested since it can be hereditary.

Debbie AKA gocubsgo
CUBS R GRT IN 08

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Debora and welcome :)

Are you having any of the symptoms of lupus that you have asked for this test to be done?

Lupus can have a genetic element but is not strictly speaking hereditary so unless you are showing symptoms of having lupus the blood test would be less than worthless, especially as you may have a slightly raised ANA due to being the child of someone with lupus. A lupus diagnosis cannot be given on blood tests alone.

Obviously, with a family history of lupus, you will be more aware of any signs or symptoms and if you start suffering from them may find it worth seeing a rheumy.

I have just reread your previous posts and you think you may have some mild signs of lupus. I think the question on whether you go to see a rheumy or not all depends on how severe those symptoms are. If the symptoms are very mild and not really affecting your quality of life then you are unlikely to be taken seriously by a rheumy who would also be unlikely to be able to give you a diagnosis.

However, if the symptoms are more severe then a GP would not usually have the experience necessary to run the correct blood tests or piece together the weird and wonderful symptoms we get.

I hope I've been clear, that seems a bit garbled...rather like my brain I fear :lol:

Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I think your body will let you know if you need to see a Rheumy doctor.

It really depends on what sxs your having, etc...

It would not hurt I guess especially since your mom has lupus and you mention some mild sxs of lupus for yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also, check out the criteria that is listed in the link above my post. It is great information.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Debora, what are your symptoms and how long have you had them? Have
you been on any medications for any symptom? You will probably have trouble
trying to see a Rheumatologist, as you don't seem to be having any symptoms right now, but, as was said right before me, it wont hurt to call, say you are from a parent of Lupus, and you just wanted to talk to the dr. and see what you should do.
I wish you all the luck, and do post after and let us know.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Deborah,
did you have your thyroid checked as if you are having mild lupus type symptoms then it could be a thyroid problem. Cholesterol can also be elevated with underactcive thyroid but also for other reasons not related to disease.

Good luck

Cassie :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts