TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

To cut a long sotry short my faith in Doctors has once again been floored ..
I was admitted 3 weeks ago with acute bladder retention which they initially said was caused by lupus I was doubled up in agony .. they sent me for a scan which showed my polycystic Ovarian syndrome had flared up and had a huge cyst on my ivary so they then said the retention was due to that and it would go away. after 2 weeks of being in hospital they were going to send me home even though I was in agony and still in retention,
Well 2 days later got a second opinion and he agreed to do my 8th laparoscopy in 18 months ,when I came round I had all my family round my bed which I couldn't understand it turned out I was in theatre for nearly 6 hours becuase I had a major internal bleed in my abfomen spleen and uterus , andthey had found 6 lumps in my bladder.
Apparently all the bleeding was caused by high INR from Warfarin and they had completly missed it I was in for nearly 3 weeks I am still fuming ... they removed lumps and sent off for biopsy which luckily came back negative for cancer but I am still confused about how they missed all this going on if I had of gone home when told I would of died !!!

sorry to rant on but I have lost faith in consultants at my local hospital and upset about what may have happened

Claire xx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dear Claire,

I am so sorry to ready your post. What you have been through..:( I feel terrible for you.

You have every reason to feel frustrated with the drs. that were supposed to be taking good care of you.

I hope you feel much better now..Take Care.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have very little faith in NHS doctors generally for a number of reasons, not the least being that I have become progressivly disabled over the last three years and am still being passed between consultants who all look at me and say "its not X" - X being the one thing they know about - and then they discharge me. I'm also fed up with having one doctor plan a line of investigation, and then the next one I see not proceeding with the plan and going off on a different tangent.

Anyway, with your case, I think a strongly worded complaint is in order to the NHS. If you have a PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison service) or other advocacy organisation, then use them to help you make the complaint. It is bordering on malpractice to have not noticed the fact that you were on anticoagulants before an operation.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I am speechless. You have every right to be *flaming angry*!
What a concatination of incompetances.
It really does make one wonder.
Hang in there!
Douglas+

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Claire and (((((((hugs)))))))

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through.
I tink the others have just about covered it in that you have every right to be angry.

It is extremely frightening when such things happen as we are totally vulnerable and if we can't count on the so called experts then who can we count on? Thankfully not all docs are like that but it often takes a lot of time to find the right ones.

sending loads of healing hugs to you and your boys,
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Claire,
Although all this was nowhere near acceptable, I hope that you will now have the strength to feel better. PALS are usually very good, so do complain.
x Lola

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Claire))))))))) I definitely think you should complain. They missed something that should have been a very basic and obvious thing to check!

I hope you recover soon :hugbetter:

love
Lily

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi claire i am sorry that you have been so ill i hope you take it further as that terrible.I think somtimes we dont complain enough at the end of the day we put our lifes in there hands.Just before my father passed away he was in and was not looked after properly so i sent a letter to the head of the hospital.And told them i was not happy with his care.After i sent the letter my Father passed away but i still went ahead with my complaint and had the meeting.And i made sure that there were things were done right so get on to them or get someone to do it for you.And i do hope you feel better soon Best Wishes Elisabeth

·
Registered
869 Posts
Claire, I am very thankful that you are still among us to tell us about what happened:eek: . I agree with the others, you are right to be ticked off, and complaining may just save some other poor souls life.
Secondly, I am sorry to hear you were so ill and in so much pain for so long. I hope you have gotten some relief. Are there any ideas as to why you had the lumps? Take Care:goodvibes:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi Claire, what a horrible experience for you - I hope you are feeling better now.

As I am also on warfarin, I'd be really interested in knowing how high your inr was. I have a very unstable inr which leaps all over the place so I am very curious.

Thank goodness they finally found out what was going on - and what a long time it took to work it all out.

Feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you all for kind words, I am starting the process of complaining if anything just to make sure it never happens to anyone else.

In answer to some of your questions the lumps in my bladder were caused by the internal beed which bled under the lining .

I was on warfarin for 6 months but they could not stabilise my INR they said it was because of my constant flare ups and change in medications my INR firstly wouldn't budge from 1.1 for 2 months so was clexaine in the mean time, then It went up to 8.8 then whilst in hospital it was 10.7 !!! yet still never suspected internal bleed what madness !!

well at the moment still suffering now got bladder infection from being catheterised for 2 weeks and the surgery so feeling rubbish but better than I was and also got accepted finally for D.L.A after a horrible tribunal so fingers crossed it can only get better !! :rotfl:

Claire x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts