The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

Those of you that are taking Cell Cept, were you told to stay out of the sun all together?

My dr, never mentioned the risks of Cell Cept increasing the odds of getting skin cancer.

I know we need to stay out of it, so we don't flare with lupus, just didn't know about the increased risk of skin cancer due to taking Cell Cept.

I planted some flowers yesterday...and am the worse for wear for it today.

I must say that since, I increased my CellCept dose to 2000 mgs daily,
My headaches have abated.

I hope it continues to be the pattern for me,,,

Best Wishes to you all.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sandy :)
The difficulty is in knowing how much sun is too much, whatever the drug or the disease it's being taken for. I take Imuran and also use a skin cream from time to time both of which increase photosensitivity and can cause increased risks of cancer but I could hardly be less often exposed or better protected than I would be anyway.
I reckon I "takes me chances". Some of the autoimmune connective tissue diseases have a higher rate of certain cancers as it is.
All we can do is our best- so do your gardening in the evening or very early morning - it's better for the plants anyway.
As for the doctor not mentioning this. He really should have but sometimes they are rather careless or unthinking or reckon the risk is so low it isn't worth mentioning and causing undue alarm.
My skin doctor never mentioned about the Elidel cream risk because it is so small and not entirely proven anyway. I found out about it from this forum. Of course the counsel of perfection is to read up on your drugs and if we are photosensitive take particular note or ask the pharmacist so we can be that little bit more careful in whatever way we should.

All the best (((Sandy ))) I am very sorry you have so much on your plate these days

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I thought I had read up on Cellcept but I didn't see that. thanks for mentioning it. I haven't really been sensitive to sun before - although I think that may be changing. Hard to tell as I tend to stay out of it on general principals.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I just thought that it was the increased risk of skin cancer in the sun with Cellcept.

I tend to gear up with my factor 50+ everyday and clothed from top to toe even though I don't suffer badly from sun sensitivity - don't want to take ANY chances. I have the most awful UV hat but it does the job.

The only time I expose myself is to very late sun (evening) as it's my favorite time of the day and that's the only time I take my chances. My doc didn't specifically mention the sun risks of Cellcept but did mention staying out the sun as a general statement.

Sandy - keeping everything crossed for you that your headaches stay away.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Cellcept seems to be safer in terms of cancer risk than many of the drugs we take (imuran, cytoxan etc). It becomes a matter of balancing risks, and working out what is better for you - a small increase in the chance of getting cancer or putting up with lupus symptoms, or risking osteoporosis through increased steroid use.

At the end of the days it's the choice we make. Cytoxan which I have had an awful lot of comes with an increase risk of bladder tumours - but given lupus nibbles away at my brainstem on a regular basis I'll take the increased risk of cancer thanks very much. That being said my doctors have consistantly tried to reduce my exposure to the stuff, not always with a great deal of success.

My personal philosophy is something has got to kill me in the end .......

I have already had skin cancers removed, but that is because down under we have huge holes in our ozone layer, so we all have an increased rate of it anyway. Personally I wouldn't worry too much unless there was a huge increase in the rate of melanoma's.

My understanding is that cellcept is a lot safer than many of the other drugs we take for lupus in terms of risk of cancer (imuran, cytoxan etc) so you may already be minimizing your risk.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ladies,

Thanks, for your input, regarding sun exposure and CellCept. You are right..Raglet. It is a choice, we have to make in the end.

I know, I have not had a headache, since I increased my dose of CellCept.

I would rather take the med, given the risks than, have no quality of life..

Thank you all very much, for your support and caring.

Love,
Sandy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts