The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Well I had my ultrasound done this afternoon and the doctor who did it could see that I had some kind of nodule on my thyroid exactly where the pain was. He measured it and took a few images. I could see it myself on the screen.

Even though it was the Rheumatology Dept who ordered the scan, he will send the report out to my GP as he feels its not Lupus related and I should be referred to an Endocrinologist. Anyway my next Rheumy appointment isnt until November this year so he says thats too far away. So I have to go to my GP next week.

What with all the poking around my neck is really sore at the moment.

I feel sad this evening. It seems every time I have gone for some test or other lately something else shows up :worried: This year alone I have 'collected' arthritis in the neck, osteopaenia, high Blood Pressure, serious fluid retention in my legs and feet, carpal tunnel in both wrists and now this! And its only July :rolleyes:

Anyone else got Thyroid lumps or nodules and if so what happened? I know the chances of it being benign are very high - I just cant stand the thought of more poking and prodding. Im rightly fed up.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Joan,

I'm sorry, I have no experience on this. My endocrinologist says my thyroid is well and truly shrivelled and no nodules when he checks it once a year.

I just wanted to send my best wishes and hope they do something to stop it hurting soon.

I shall bring my best wishes with me literally on the plane as I have to fly out to Dublin tomorrow morning as Dad is rather ill.

hugs to you,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sorry to hear about this latest development. When it rains it pours!

Take care... I've not been personally affected by this so haven't much more to offer!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fear not

Hi Joan
Right dont worry (easy for me to say). I have been there - this time last year my gastro man found a nodule on my thyroid which was 3.5cm on ultrasound. During the ultrasound they did a fine needle aspiration as the edges were irregular. This came back as suspect. A couple of months later - i had the nodule removed which was 6.5cm at that stage. The lump was benine. All fine now and am on thyroxine but all ok - thyroid is gone too - but i am a dab hand at neck scarves and hiding scars - but to be honest the scar healed really quickly and very discreet.
U R not alone - ok and i am here if u ever need to talk...
i know you are sad - i was too - but u have every right. And the worst thing that can happen is that if it is malignant it is the best possible type - only one course of tablets... my friend had it and she is now fine.
But i do know how you feel.........Big hug!!!
x e

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Joan
:there::hugbetter:

That's really tough :sad: and I don't blame you for being really fed up. You have had a rotten year one way and another, geesh you'd think you could get a break. I suppose it was only to be expected that something really is wrong after it's been going on so long and getting worse.
I hope with all my heart they will find it is fairly easily remedied. Here's a mega dose of comfort and optomistic strength.
ETA
I don't have any personal experience except once they found a nodule which turned out to be a cyst presumably that self cleared since the next US they did it had gone. But I didn't even realise there was anything wrong. My GP had had thryoid removed so she was manically checking all her patients out. Obviously this is a different scenario.

Many hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
((((((Joan)))))))

You've sure had your fair share this year! I looked up the chances of it being benign - 95%.........yup definately 95%.

My best friend went through the same thing 9 months ago and was put on Thyroxin. A few tweakes with the meds and she feeling so much better. One of the symptoms she had was extreme tiredness which the meds have helped.

You have every right to feel down right fed up Joan, who wouldn't. I'm sending you a special cyber chocolate cake which I baked myself ;) and has special ingredients to make you feel better. Hang in there.

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dearest Joan,

I can see why your feeling fed up. You have had a lot to deal with, having different diagnosis every whip stitch.

I have never had problems with my thyroid, so..I can't offer much advice in that department.

I can offer lots of hugs and positive thoughts, though. I hope, your tests come out the very best they can, and hope that your neck pain eases for you.
:hug:

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Joan

That list cant get anylonger. Im sending you a huge big marker pen to cross off all those things on that list that are going to be sorted and dealt with.

I know these things that seem to come along in life and I just kept thinking there cant be any else this year and there is.

Then the law of karma, averages or goodness knows what 'rights the balance or at the very least halts the process of those things that keep coming eventually!.

Sending you a huge hug

Nicky

·
Registered
495 Posts
Dear Joan........I am sorry to hear of your news.:sad:
I hope all turns out ok for you when you see your GP.
If this can be of any help to you, I dont have nodules on my thyroid but, I do have some on my lungs and I have no problems with them at all and so far all is ok.
I wish you all the best. .
................Laura(LWL2002)................Take care.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Joan,

You have been having quite a year.:hug: I don't blame you one bit for being fed up. It is no fun dealing with everything that gets tossed our way.

I do have a goiter on my thyriod, for 27 years now. The doctor found it at my prenatal when I was pregnant with my son. After he was born I had a radioactive test done. They found out they didn't need to take it out. I have been taking levothyroxine for it.

I am sorry that yours is causing you pain.:( I hope you get relief soon.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Arghhhhhhhhh ((((((((((Joan))))))))))) :foryou: :hugbetter:

I guess it was too much to hope for that this was going to be nothing and no further followup needed. Sometimes we just can't seem to escape this endless testing, docs visits and surprise surprise another problem cropping up.

I hope with all my heart that this is something benign due to your existing Hashi's and that is is easily dealt with.

Sending cyber hugs and extra chockies from my stash ;) hang in there and vent anytime you feel the need to. You have a lot to vent about.

love
Lily

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Joan, I am so sorry you are having such a bad time. I hope it can all get sorted and you have a holiday from this soon.

hugs

raglet

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI Joan,

Gee, I'm sorry that you have yet another problem to add to the list.

All the best with waiting until you know exactly what you are dealing with, and I'm crossing everything for you in the hope tht it is easily and non traumatically dealt with.

And maybe you need to put a "cancelled" notice in your diary for the rest of the year with a "no more space for bad news" declaration by it:worried:

(((((((((((((((((Joan))))))))))))))

X C X

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Joan,
Sorry I've been a little distracted lately hence the late reply.

i had a large thyroid nodule which I lived with for years until it began to increase in size and became uncomfortable.
I had the needle aspiraton ........twice.....both inconclusive.. ..hence referred to a surgeon,just in case.

The surgery was very straightforward and apart from some cervical neck pain
not that bad. Results (benign nodule) within a month.
Three weeks off work......scar practically unnoticable.

I have my thyroid levels checked but have been fine so far. I also have thyroid antibodies........not sure if there is a connection or not. I would guess that there is. I believe they can recur.
HTH

By the way if you do need surgery, warn them about your neck pain. Apparently during the op your head and neck are held in a brace to immobilize it. This gave me more post op pain than the thyroidectomy wound.

The very best of luck Joan........I know you are due some.

Big Hug

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
(((((((((((((((((((Dear Joan))))))))))))))))))))

I'm sorry to hear of this latest development :sad: you certainly have had a lot thrown at you this year!:mad: and it's very understandable you're feeling fed up!

I will keep my fingers crossed that the nodule is benign :fingers: I'm sure it will be with all the positive,caring thoughts & prayers we are all sending to you! :luck: :goodvibes::goodvibes::luck:

take good care joan, I hope you feel better soon...sending you great big friend hugs :hug::hugbetter::flower2:
lots of love karen x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all very much for your lovely messages :grouphug2: especially when so many are going through so much themselves. I dont usually get 'down' about things but I really was fed up leaving that hospital yesterday. I didnt even want to know if anything turned up on the back xray I got done as well! I just legged it out of the room without looking back! If anything is wrong they can come looking for me. Im not even going to ask about it! :hehe: Not to worry - it will all work out fine in the end. Things could always be worse ;)

Thanks too for those that shared their personal experiences. To be honest Im just not looking forward to a couple of more months in pain until they sort out whatever it is. It hurts to swallow and breath and just plain hurts when doing nothing. I rang the hospital today to check out the referral procedure because I wasnt convinced I should go back to my GP, as it was the Rheumy who ordered the test. They said that the Rheumy would review the results and if a referral was in order then they would arrange it. Makes sense to me as GP referrals usually take longer than internal referrals. So I will just sit back and wait until I hear from them.

Thanks again everyone. You're the best :)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Joan,:hugbetter:
I am so very sorry. :( I am praying that you are in the 95% group. I hope that they figure it out quickly so you can find a good med to knock out that pain!! Thank you for keeping us posted-I trruly appreciate it.

Keep your chin up!!:)

Lots of Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Joan,

First of all let me send you a big :hug:, I sure know what it is like to go to the doctors for something and find out you have something new added to the list of things you allready have... I am so sorry you have to deal with one more thing...
I too was told I have a nodule on my thyroid... This was about nine months ago... I am getting it checked out every three month... it isn't too big right now ... But if it gets any bigger they are going to do a biopsy of it... I have been thinking I am going to find out that it is bigger because of things that are happening to me for the last month or two.. I had a ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and I see the oncoligist on the eighteenth of July.... I also found out there is something on my bowel...
I tell you , you get to the point where you wonder if it is worth going to the doctors...
Again I am very sorry you have one more thing to worry about and I hope it is a small nodule and you dont have to have a biopsy done... I will be thinking of you...

Love and hugs

Penny

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keep pushing

Hi Joan
In my case it was my gastero man who referred me and i was seen in a couple of weeks. Yes GP would take much longer i would think. Find out who you are being referred to and become best friends with the secretary.......thats what i did and got a very speedy appointment - ah see oirish charm :lol:
Hope you are feeling a bit better today - I do know how you feel and the sheer feeling you are going to choke is horrendous but you wont and if you feel it getting any worse - get yourself admitted as an emergency patient.
Since my op which i have to say really was not that bad - i have not looked back. Apart from the potential lupus - i am a new woman!!!
Please dont feel alone cause u r not ok!:grouphug2:

xxx e

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Dear Joan

I am so very sorry to hear about the nodule(((((hugs)))).Lupus sure is such a unpredictable diasease.I have trouble with my thyroid but did not have a nodule.I do know other that have had them and even had them taken out and are doing wonderful know and have been doing well for like seven years or so.I can see why your throat is hurting ((((hugs)))).I am sure glad that they are not making you wait any longer to figure it out.I sure hope after this that you get one heck of a long break from any kind of health issues.I am really hoping for that for you young lady.Please keep us updated on what you find out at your gp this week.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts