The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I discovered two lumps on my shoulder bone. I brought them to the attention of my rheumy and he asked if they were painful. At the time they were not and I said so. He said not to worry about it. He didn't go any further and like a dummy, I let it go. I should have asked what they were. Now one of them is very sore and I don't see the doctor for three more months. I'm thinking this is no big deal but I was wondering if this has anything to do with lupus. They seem something like panniculilis, which I found during research but I'm just not sure if it's the same thing. I have an appt. with a dermatologist for an unrelated matter and maybe I'll get his opinion.

Do any of you have experience with painful lumps on your bones? I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with a new symptom of itching I've developed. Geeze, it's always something. The "gift" that keeps on giving.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Jesse!

I have several nodules and discover a new one every few months. Mine have not become painful over time, so I recommend you have your regular doctor take a look at them. I always opt to be cautious with bumps that change.

Good luck!

Terri

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terri. OK, that's at least one other person with nodules. So maybe this is lupus related? It will be interesting to who else answers.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Jesse,

I am the Queen of what I call calcium deposits and they are located on bones and also areas of soft tissue like the inside of my arms. Mine do not hurt but they never seem to go away either.

I seem to get a lot of them on the joints of my fingers and sometimes on my shin bone right down the front of my leg.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mention this to your doctor especially since yours hurt. Mine never really hurt but just look ugly.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Karol. It's starting to sound like maybe this is not so uncommon. Since one of them just started hurting, I wonder if it means anything ominous. If not, I'll just live with them as is, even the hurting one. I'll definitely talk to the doctor about it, one way or the other.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi again Jesse!

Nodules are less common with lupus than with RA, but there are plenty of us lumpy people around. :lol:

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the others will start hurting, too. It could be you bumped that one without realizing it, or some local reaction is going on.

My nodules aren't calcified; they are firm but not rock hard. My doctor refers to them as rheumatoid nodules. Most are pea-sized or smaller, but one near my left elbow is quite visible from a distance now. All in all, the rheumy was underwhelmed by them.

Terri

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Terri. My doctor was underwhelmed too. That describes it perfectly, LOL. I feel a bit better about them overall, even the sore one, but I will mention the change at my next appointment with whichever doctor I see first.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just started developing nodules on different parts of my body also but mine don't hurt they just bother me. I have a few on my fingers and thos fingers need to be splinted because they hyperextend and then lock from the nodules.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.