TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what dosages people were on for MTX. I have only been on it a month and we are going to hold it at 10mg for another mth to see if my body adjusts and it starts to help and then will go up if need be. I'm hoping the 10mg will help so just wondering.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hellooo, I am currently on 10mg aswell but thats injections. When I was on tablets I was on 15mg. Never anything higher. And that made a huge difference to my lupus. I think people are generally on between 7.5 and 15mg a week. Hope it kicks in soon and makes a real difference to you xxxx

·
11,405 Posts
I was on 10 mgs but now my rhumey put me on 15 mgs.(oral) I think 20mgs is the highest he is willing to go.

How are you feeling? I have been thinking about you.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have been feeling OK. I'm not sure if I am feeling better but definitely not worse so that is good and I'm hopeful that it means that the MTX is starting to work. I'd rather not go up any more so hopefully this will work but if not then so be it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I started out on 15 mg week, (tablets) then went up to 25, (injection) then up to 50, (injection) and have been at 70 (intravenous with a portacath) now for the last 11.5 years. In total, I have been on mtx for 17 years. We realize this is a high dose, but it is what has kept me alive. I can no longer tolerate pred higher doses. So, this was the alternative my rheumy and oncologist thought was the best solution. I do my own iv access to do my weekly dose.
Sally

·
Registered
647 Posts
:eek: Wow. I am on 1.0 subQ (injection). I thought this was a normal dose.

Ironically, I was just at rheumy today and found out I was maxed on the metho dose. It would appear the 1.0 is the top the scale.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Tracy,
Are you talking about 1.0 cc? If so, that is 25 mgs. Methotrexate is 25 mgs per cc. [1 cc is equal to 1 ml.]
The reason I am on such a high dose is that I cannot take increases in my steroid. I was getting worse and worse and there was not any other way to go. My rheumy was very open about this and discussed with me the options we had. Which were basically, none other than going up on the mtx. For me, this is the best way to handle the sle. Considering where I was, and where I am now, it was the right move. When we went from 50 to 70, we had an oncologist take over managing that. We knew we were blazing the trail for others to follow. We did the searches and found NO other person in the world, that we could find, who went that high. I have a portacath in place so I can do my chemo thru that. When my oncologist retired I took over doing my weekly chemo. I had learned early on how to use the portacath, which is not hard. If you can do an injection, you can do a portacath access. You just need to follow sterile techniques as you are accessing the blood stream and infections can happen easily.

I'm glad for you that the mtx is working for you.
Sally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts