The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been diagnosed yet, but within the past week, two doctors have mentioned the possibility of lupus. This seems to have occurred after a bout with some viral type illness in 2005.

In 2005, I came down with what my doctor concluded was some sort of viral illness. It started out with severe consitpation (actually more like my intestines shut down) lasting about 2 wks and followed by intestinal bloating, fever, joint pain, fatigue, urinary retention, my mouth breaking out, extreme asthma-like symptoms, shortness of breath with even the slightest activity, and a sore throat with an ulcer on my tonsil. The sore throat went away but the ulcer on my tonsil left a scar. That's about all I can remember. Lyme disease was discussed as a possibility, and I was treated with a course of Clindamycin without effect. I had a high Rheumatoid Factor, but at that time an ANA was negative. My symptoms eventually subsided.

Late December of 2007, I began experiencing similar symptoms.

In January I began to have a sore mouth and open ulcers on my tongue.
I had flu-like symptoms and was diagnosed as having the flu, but when the flu did not resolve, my doctor tested for mono/Epstein Barr Virus. That came back positive in March, and my IgG and IgM counts were high.

The symptoms I am currently having are:

Extreme fatigue

redness on my cheeks, and to a lesser degree on my nose

ulcers on the left side of my tongue and a "rash" for lack of a better word on the other side of my tongue that, for lack of a better way to describe it, looks like ring worm. Sore mouth when the ulcers appear, and swollen and painful lips with little white areas on my lips

Joint pain, especially my right knee. Worse at night. Diagnosis of arthritis by an orthopedist, confirmed by MRI. I am not fond of pain medication, but now take Darvacet fairly regularly for the pain. Nothing touches this pain. My knee is also hot and swollen. Also occasionally pain in my elbows and wrists.

On MRI, a finding of "severe red marrow reconversion of the femur, tibia, and fibula."

Intestinal bloating

This one is weird....my hair is growing in differently. It's growing in curly and of a different texture.

Shortness of breath and tightness in my lungs and had to use my inhaler regularly for about a month. That has subsided. Off and on, over the past year, I have had just a subtle dry irritating cough, jsut enough to be an annoyance.

40 pound wt gain since January

A swollen clavicular node which comes and goes. Sometimes it will be swollen for days, then it goes away, then it comes back.

I'm not depressed but I don't really want to do anything between the pain and the fatigue.

A noticably change in that I am irritable. I'm usually very laid back. I wonder if this is just due to pain.

Disrupted sleep pattern. I used to sleep through the night, now I am up a couple times in the night. Again, perhaps this is ultimately just due to pain.

So there it is. What a mess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at a couple of the threads regarding symptoms and diagnosis, I can add the following symptoms:

Seizure history (adlut onset- partial seizures)

Migraine history since teen years

Recurrant nose ulcer

Tongue feels like all the moisture is being sucked out of it

Premenstrual exacerbations of many of my symptoms

Also, I don't know if there is any connection, but....in 2006 I had a spontaneous rupture of the tendon in my ankle. It was just weird. No specific injury to attribute it to. Just walking.

ETA: Also, I get these tiny little fluid filled blister like things all over my trunk and arms.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hello there, I am sorry that you are in so much pain. If I were you, and you are going to doctors now that are not doing anything for you, Ask your GP for a referral to be seen by a new Rheumatologist. It will take time to get in, so before you appt, write all this down that you wrote here today. Lupus is very hard to diagnose, it's symptoms, history, what the dr. observes while he sees you, and more. Get a new appt, and let us know. Be well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
halfpintfl;511782 said:
Hello there, I am sorry that you are in so much pain. If I were you, and you are going to doctors now that are not doing anything for you, Ask your GP for a referral to be seen by a new Rheumatologist. It will take time to get in, so before you appt, write all this down that you wrote here today. Lupus is very hard to diagnose, it's symptoms, history, what the dr. observes while he sees you, and more. Get a new appt, and let us know. Be well.
Thank you. I went to see an ENT this past week for the sores on my tongue. She asked me a lot of questions, and she said that based on all the symptoms I am having, she feels that I have some kind of auto-immune thing. She said she would write a letter to my doctor and recommend a rheumatology consult. I hope I can get in soon! Thanks for telling me to write down all my symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts