The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi

Posting this thread as im starting to go off my head:yawn:

I have found over the last few weeks that I would go to bed and cant sleep. Last night I so tired I was nearly asleep on my feet at 12am. But to have to get out of bed again at 2.45am (after a lot of twisting and turning) and stayed up till 6.30!! I had listened to my radio before I gave up and came downstairs as well as reading my book.

Now I know my op for Thyroid Cancer was cancelled on Wed till next month but its driving me mad:yell:that I cant sleep even when im dead on my feet. I cant have a massage and I dont want to go down the route of sleep tabs for the next month as I might need them near the op.

Any help would be great or advice.

:help:

Jo

·
4,445 Posts
My sleep has been bad since I had children...have tried various things, recently aromatherapy deep sleep bath oil at night for half hr before bed which has helped, got it from space nk, though not cheap...also got told that white chestnut settles your brain from going round and round,,, think that helped too but not sure it didn't give me a headache.... I do do sleep tabs when I have gone a few nights as I end up with worse symptoms of lupus etc if I am not rested. You could look at some natural remedies but might be worth getting some advice first... they say not to read or listen to radio but to start getting into a wind down routine for about 1hr before bed...preparing etc... I like to read in the bath though!! I don't watch TV though now for a while before bed as that wasn't helpful. Oh and sleep mist from Molton Brown is lovely....... I wish you well, not surprised your sleep is suffering when you have an op looming..hope you find something that helps...
Claire

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, being unable to sleep is horrible. Have you discussed this with your gp? I would have thought you would need to rest before op so that you have a good recovery. Maybe a low dose ant depressant such as amitriptyline could help. I take this as the pain stops me from sleeping and it helps relax you, but doesn't knock you out like a sleeping tablet. I did take a course of zopiclone once after I had had a tia and was too scared to sleep and they were brilliant, I fell asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow. I hope things improve for you.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, I hope you can get something sorted out.

I'd suggest go to your GP as not being able to sleep has been linked to my Lupus, and some kind of sleeping tablet or short term dose of a "medication designed for good mental health" may help you

With me sometimes lack of sleep is due to pain etc waking me up/not being able to get comfortable. - at these times herbal sleep remedies, relaxation prior to bedtime, and pain killers all help me

However on a more serious note lack of sleep can be a symptom in me when I'm in a flare up as I sometimes get "mild brain involvement" as part of a flare up (particularly after a sunlight induced flare) this has also been referred to by my Dr's as "hypo-mania" when I'm at my worst.

Symptoms of hypomania are a bit like the high that people with bipolar get, so it makes pacing virtually impossible, sleep pattern is "all over the shop" and then any lupus flare up gets worse because I can not stop/I'm not sleeping/mind is in overdrive. - at these times I need medication for my mental health (I take olanzapine during a hypomanic flare)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you have too high of levels of thyroid hormone then it's probably due to thyroid more than lupus. The stress of everything and if you are in a lot of pain can also keep you up of course.

I would think it would be more important to have some sleep in the few weeks before surgery as after surgery hopefully the thyroid will not be a contributing factor anymore, and you may be on pain tabs that will make you sleepy.

I've taken 2 benadryl to help me sleep at night (on occasion - not every night), and will alternate that with sleeping tabs for up to a week or two and haven't had much trouble with any sort of tolerance and dependency.

When it gets as bad as you have it, I really think it's worth a call or a trip in to your doctor to get some help. Sleep is SOOOO important!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got dreadful sleep habits at the moment. I'm very tired all the time, I get up in the morning feeling like I've had no sleep whether I've had 8 hours or 2. It's not good. The last two nights have been better than it has for a long time. I've had no tea or coffee after 8pm, I've taken valerian tablets and I've used a lavendar body and linen spray to soothe. The last two nights I've actually gone to sleep and not woken up until the alarm has gone off. It makes a massive difference.

Take care and I hope you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
(((((joirish)))))

I agree with Maia in that you have been diagnosed with overactive thyroid and have a lot going on there, so that's the likely cause of this inability to sleep. It's part and parcel of hyperthyroid :(

I think seeing your GP might help to try and get you something so that you are well rested before this operation. No doubt the stress you are under because of their findings is contributing to being unable to sleep too but there is help available so I would access it. You want to go in as mentally and physically as strong as is possible. No sleep is not going to sit well.

take care,

lots of love
Lily

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.