The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going back and fore the hospital since my son was born 3 months prematurely. I hadn't felt well for a long time and have Endometriosis. I noticed a rash on my face and was referred to a dermatologist who is convinced its a connective tissue rash. My rheumatologist is convinced something is going on but thinks I'm in the early stages of something. He's not quite sure what it is and I've had one lot of blood tests all come back negative. I have a butterfly rash on my face which is always present but varies from being faint to very strong. I have been getting a rash on my right hand which has been present for nearly a year. It makes it hard to bend my fingers and is very itchy when it flares badly. The dermatologist isn't sure what the rash is. I was offered a skin biopsy on my face but have been a little reluctant to have it as it would be in such an obvious spot. I have just had a repeat ANA-and am waiting for the result. In the meantime I am on plaquenil and have been told I can increase my dose. I have been fatigued all the time and am getting odd flares where I feel like I have flu then I get muscular pains in my lower back and around my hip. I have also had three bouts of pleurisy in the last couple of years. Has anyone else had any similar confusing experience?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi Pilipala,
I would strongly recommend that you have the biopsy done, as you have found out sometimes the blood tests come back negative, so a biopsy will tell the DR so much more, you may have discoid lupus.
So sorry that you are not feeling very good, the biopsy could give you the answer.
I had a biopsy done on my nose, and yes i have a scar but it told me i have discoid lupus.
I am now waiting to find out if i have SLE.
Seriously think about it, please let us know how you get on.
Hugs Sandra.

·
11,408 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

I just wanted to add on the biopsy score that a biospy can also be done on unaffected, unexposed skin. My dermy never entertained the thought that of doing a biopsy on my face and I had it taken from my stomach.

I'm not sure if my kind of biopsy is less "sure" but at least when it is positive, you do know that it is really positive.

Might be an idea to ask whether that isn't an option.

Katharine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts