The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

these last 3 weeks my 2 fingers have been numb all the time,( my little finger and the one next to it also down the side of my palm) I dont see my rheumy till Nov.

I saw my dermy yesterday and he has sent off for me to see a neuro. mentioned something about carple tunnel? Have no Idea what this means, could this be causing the numbness?

Its surprising how much you use all your fingers and this is driving me nuts

any thoughts would be appreciated

dixy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

It's good that he has referred you to a neuro. If it is the little finger and the one next to it, it would be more likely to be cubital tunnel than carpal tunnel which usually affects the thumb, index and middle fingers - but that's a small point.

The neuro will be able to do tests to hopefully establish the cause.

It could also be caused by peripheral neuropathy which can occur in lupus but I'm not sure if it could be that when only the fingers and palm are numb.

I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and I agree it is really not nice when things go numb.

Here's a link that explains cubital tunnel syndrome
http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=8

Katharine

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. This does not affect the pinky and ring finger. It is the thumb,index, and middle finger. It also can affect the wrist and arm, but not always the case. Hope you get the answer to what's going on with you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Katherine

brilliant link, omg not 2 happy about the EMG give that a miss lol nooooooooo way am I having that done again.

Well i guess I had better stop leaning on my elbow, perhaps it might go away on its own before I see neuro.(pigs will fly)

thanks ceenic thats cleared the difference up of carpel and cubical tunnel defo the cubital

thanks again guys

dixy

·
4,436 Posts
Hiya Dixy.. I had an operation for Carpal Tunnel in my right hand... mine also didn't really affect my little finger and in fact the whole palm could be affected. Holding a phone to my ear was uncomfortable as my whole hand would go numb and I would wake in the night and have to dangle my hand over the edge..... hope you get some answers soon...
Claire X

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello Claire

Sooo I should try dangling my arm and not bend my elbow. So is an operation the only way to fix this ? or could some sort of manipulation work?

dixy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

This is very interesting. I too suffer regularly with numb little and ring fingers which extends down into the palm. I had no idea what it was and it is generally painful at night when it can wake me up.

Louise

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
One thing which can help those that have carpal tunnel syndrome is to wear wrist braces at night (if night pain is a big problem) as we all tend to bend our hands over at the wrist which makes things worse. I don't know though if that helps at all with cubital tunnel syndrome - I would imagine if the origin is more in the elbow then it wouldn't (?).

Although I don't have either, my numbness being from peripheral neuropathy, I still wear wrist braces at night as I'm terrible about bending my hands over and I really hurt my tendons in the wrists (I have generally badly affected tendons) but it also makes my hands a lot less numb.

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure about cubital tunnel, but I have carpal tunnel in both hands. Wrist braces day and night helped me - there must be something similar for cubital? Then when it got worse and I was dropping things with my left hand (it's the worst) I had steroid injection in the carpal tunnel space (an expert neuro needs to do this - I wouldn't have just any old joe blow do it!) I have had good and thorough relief for around 5 months and just back to wearing brace only at night recently. They said once it gets as bad as it did before they can inject me again. I'm not keen to have surgery given everything else I have going on right now and I don't do well with surgery anyway. I know there will probably be a limit to the amount of injections I can have but for now I am happy with the result from them.

love
Lily

·
Registered
9 Posts
I often get numb fingers and other parts. I was told that it was swelling in my spine caused by the Lupus. Hopes this helps. Try an ice pack on the spine ... :)

·
4,436 Posts
HI Dixy.. when I saw the consultant ref; carpal tunnel he did do some basic tests in his surgery to confirm diagnosis, but they were quite simple.... I had probs down the middle fingers and thumb, classic for carpal tunnel. I did have an injection but didn't help me much so had to have surgery, been fine since, but I do get a numb hand at times since diagnosis with mctd anyway... so who knows?
Claire X

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello

well chatting to my sister inlaw she has fibro. Also has numbness in little finger and ring finger, she has accupuncture to help her with this and gets some relief.

Will wait till I have my neuro appointment. Just collecting info so i ready to get the most from my appointment. I have a wrist splint so will give it a try.

The numbness is just sooooooooo annoying didnt realise how much u need all your fingers to do stuff.

dixy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello me again

Fed up waiting 4 neuro appointment, so phoned them Wednesday.

They phoned me back Thursday. Result have my appointment tomorrow:eek: a

Saturday yippee.

Let you know how I get on. Just soo pleased I made the phone call as could still be waiting.

dixy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's great dixy, you must have just phoned on the right day for a cancellation :)

Good luck and let us know hos you get on.

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Well done dixy, good luck tomorrow!

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
You really lucked out Dixy. I wish you luck moving forward with this and keep us posted as to how your appointment goes.;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone

think they must have put an extra clinic on. Great only had to wait 20mins consultant great. Said to get one of those sports injury support thingys to wear day and night. To try not to bend my elbow or rest on my elbows.

Have one of those EMG tests to look forward to eek.

See my rheumy next friday so its all hospitals at the moment oh and papworth at the end of the month for my PH

take care all
dixy

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Dixy, glad you were seen quickly. I hope the supports help. I must admit if I lean on my elbows it makes the numbness worse, its hard not to do sometimes though!!!

I wonder how long you will have to wait for the EMG?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts