TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had SLE for 26 years and am on Methotrexate, plaquenil and folic acid. Recently arthritis symptoms in hands and feet have increased. But my hands also have been having perioods of numbness, and tingling -feeling like the circulation is cutting off - but for no apparent reason. Just curious if others have had this.
Molly

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there :)

I have this though it has calmed a good degree recently. I still have no idea why I'm afraid. It was believed to be peripheral neuropathy (I also had quite a bit of numbness in my feet and lower legs at that time) but no-one really knows for sure (my nerve conduction wasn't good on examination then, it's good now :scratch:). It used to wake me up at night as it was so numb that it was painful and yet if I looked at my hands they looked perfectly healthy and pink - I kind of expected grey/blue :eek:

Sorry I can't help more. I think the causes can be numerous. I would certainly mention it to your rheumy and/or neuro.

Katharine

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
i too suffer this and was thought to have carpaltunnel and ulna compression trouble but all clear too. i too get it in my feet! suspect its inflammation!

nettyxxx

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Just wondering with the tingling. have you been dx with raynuads?
Just a thought as I have raynuads, but also pernicious anaemia can cause tingling in hands/feet. I been dx with both. Been worth a mention to your Doctor if it carries on

Sheila x

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had numb hands since last July. Was diagnosed with lupus last week. My hands are sometimes painful, but mostly numb. It's weird. I think I may have Raynauds - I certainly get white/blue hands very quickly when they're cold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I occasionally get tingeling in the tips of fingers and all over my feet. But I have a raynauld's dx, as well as a SEVERE panic disorder which makes me feel all kinds of things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issue. Fingers hurt and are numb at the same time. Makes typing a real experience! (and I type for a living). Toes are also numb/hurt/burning. Went to a Neurolgist and he said "PN" but after doing a number of painful tests he felt my PN was due to an injury (sciatic (sp?) nerve) rather than the Lupus. My fingers - he recommended waiting till I was off the Pred to diagnose them as he said he has seen people on Pred with finger issues. I have to admit my fingers didnt get "weird" till I start on the Pred. I will be off it in a couple days so keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you. My Neuro told me that for all PN cases, B12, B6 and Folic Acid are the "holy trinity" of feeling better. I am taking 3000mcg of B12 (sublingual), 50mg of B6 and 800 of Folic (sorry if my mg/mcg/whatever are not correct). It really, really helps and I can tell when I have forgotten to take my B12 for the day.

dave

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

Is the tingling and numbness mainly at night and waking you up? Is it in all fingers except the pinkie? If the answers are yes then it's more likely something to do with carpal tunnel syndrome.

If the tingling and numbness are due to swelling then there are a few possible causes and having kidney function tested and also looking at what meds you are on that can cause fluid retention is a good idea. Do you have high blood pressure?

Just a few probing questions that can help narrow it down :p

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
It does sound like periferal neuropathy. I was told, very simply, "Learn to live with it."
Just in case it is something else I would certainly raise the issue with the medico.
All the best and it may simply vanish. Mine is almost completely unpredictable but worse if I am tired, stressed or have over-done things.
Douglas+

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, amazing how many have similar issues. I see rheum soon so will ask, I do have some arthritis in wrists so am wondering if it is due to that. Last time at rheum kidney function was fine, and it does not wake me up at night, just kind of always there, so needs to be checked out - could be so many diff things. I do not have Raynauds who knows.
Thanks a bunch
Molly

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Molly,

My hands and feet tingle all the time and it can be annoying.

Good luck with your appointment and please keep us posted as to how you make out.

Join us in the chat room sometime.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have PN in my feet permanent damage from a medicine. It's mainly numbness- I can't tell if I have socks on or not My hande are more tingly and ony slightly numb. There are lots of possible causes and it needs investigating in case it's some cause like B12 deficiency that can and should be corrected. to stop further and more widespread damage.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I was dx with B12 deficiency in 2004 and since having regular B12 injections (every 12 weeks) the pins and needles in hands and feet went, but if my B12 is due I know it as the tingling returns.

Lets us know Molly how your appointment goes.

Sheila x:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts