The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone advise?
I have been dx. with Undiffed mixed connective disorder by my rheum . Had a bit of a wake up call this weekend, I have been OK ish for a while and thought the Plaquinal might be clicking in at last, but over the New Year started to feel Tired again but ignored it and stupidly carried on as usual in fact took my oldest boy to London to Camden market on Saturday!
Guess what, awfull pain Saturday night and all day Sunday and couldn't get comfy all night. I am lucky in that constant topping up with paracetomol and ibuprofen usualy works- not this time. I cant get to see my Gp till Thursday for something stronger so have been on Neurofen plus from chemist.
My question - the Pharmacist checked if ok to take with Plaquinal but when i got home and read the enclosed info, it said to check with GP before taking if you have SLE.
Does this apply to all autoimmune thingss, and does anyone out there know of a good pain killer to take off prescrition?
Thanks for your time
Sue

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello squeaky
I'm sorry about your pain.

Nurofen is iboprufen which is not the first choice NSAID for lupus because it has a greater risk of causing aseptic meningitis in people with lupus than do the other NSAIDs. That's meningitis not caused by infection. But many people are prescribed it by their doctors and come to no harm. I should think that's why the manufacturers have this advisory on the bottle as they want to cover themselves every which way.

I myself wouldn't worry about it for a short time.

In many cases UCTD is just the same as lupus. It is a technical matter and some doctors are more particular than others about naming diseases. All it means is that there are no lupus specific symptoms present, that's to say no anti ds DNA or anti Sm antibodies, or lupus skin or kidney problems. It also means there are no specific signs of any other similar autoimmune connective tissue diseases. To all practical purposes it counts as SLE
:)
I hope you can soon get relief

Clare

Nurofen is the brand name of a range of pain-relief medication made by Boots Healthcare, recently acquired by UK drug company Reckitt Benckiser.
There are eleven variants of Nurofen which all contain the analgesic ibuprofen, which was developed by the research arm of Boots, as the active ingredient. Some variants contain other active ingredients, for example Nurofen Cold & Flu contains the non-sedating decongestant pseudoephedrine. Nurofen can cure back pain, fevers or a headache.
Although they have the same clinical effect, Boots sells a pack of 16 Nurofen for £1.59, or 9.9p per tablet[1] versus a pack of 48 ibuprofen ("Cuprofen") for £2.49, or 5.2p per tablet[2], making the branded version almost twice as expensive for the same effect
(Wikipedia)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clare, thats set my mind at rest anyway, I think Neurofen plus has Codeine in it as well. Anyhow it seems to be helping I am pleased to say. Must remember to listen to my body in future tho' as I dont like to have time off work sick cant have the boss thinking I 'cant hack it'

best wishes
Sue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts