TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Haven't posted recently but would appreciate some feedback on this, any Ideas gratefully received,
My nails have vertical ridges some just slight, others more pronounced they are quite brittle ( if I knock them they tend to break off).

Also my big toe nails are never very pretty!! as they too are always breaking off below the normal nail line.

I did wonder if it could be a fungus but they arent especially abnormal? apart from this.

Back to the finger prob. Since B4 Christmas my left index fingr has what I can only descibe as a groove 'growing' from the nail bed(looks as if someone has used a chisle on it !!! about 4 millemetres wide.

My hands and skin are always dry and I should take out shares in hand/ body cream the amount I use every day:lol:so not too bothered by nail probs( also am in my 50's so under stand nail ridges normal for us 'older' folk:(

Anyone out there had similar probs with nails and would it be worth checking with GP?

Cheers
Sue

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sue,

I'm not very good on the significance or not of nail problems but I do know they can occur and be part of your disease process. You may have noticed your rheumy checking fingernails during your appointment, mine always does anyway.

Mum has lots of problems similar to what you describe and my nails are very "fragile" and tend to break easily (I put that down to just dryness like all my skin and hair...). Mum thinks hers is some kind of infection/fungus that just won't clear up but I've never really studied what hers look like. They certainly don't look "abnormal".

I would mention it to your GP and, most importantly, to the rheumy next time.

Sorry for my very vague reply but, yes, I would mention it to the doc :)

Katharine

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Sue

My nails, like yours, are very brittle with vertical corrugations. A number have splits along the corrugations. My nails have been like this since I was in my early 30s (I'm now in my 50's).

As nails, hair and skin are related, I would not be surprised if the damage is due to connective tissue diseases. Since I started Plaquenil in December, I have seen improvements, not only in my skin, but also the condition of my hair and nails. This supports the possibility of a connection - at least for me.

Take care.

Merle

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Sue i used to have nice nails but now they are the same full of ridges.I have never bitten my nails disgusting.But now i find myself having to do that if i am out and my nails are breaking.Have started to carry a nail file.The skin on my hands are the same they are full of cuts and cracks in between my fingers thumbs are the worst.I have to see the doctor next week so i will ask him what he thinks but if anybody else has seen there doctor about it let us know.Elisabeth

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have also had an improvement in the brittleness of my nails and dry hair/skin since starting plaquenil (now 2 years ago).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I have the same problem with vertical ridges on my (brittle) nails. I will mention it when I next see the rheumy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks to Jenc, Katherine,Merleand Elizabeth for replying, it is interesting that it could be related to connective tissue problems. I will mention it next time I go to the rheumatologist. However I seem to have had more skin problems(itching etc) since being on Plaquinal but maybe you just are more aware of anything unusual!
Hope you are well(ish)
Best wishes
Sue

·
Registered
467 Posts
just a thought

hi squeeky

i don't know why you have the ridges, i have them too, and i use to have beautiful nails. i just chaulked it up to getting older. :p
my solution has been to buff the ridges the apply vitamin E and massage it into you cuticles and nail (take an vitamin E capsil (can't spell worth beans) and poke a hole in it) then buff again then apply a coat or two of polish...i use clear.

just a thought

hugs and kisses

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks spellbinder,
I will try that, my hands could do with a good cream as well- gardening with my son today didnt help.As you say the ridges do seem to get worse as we get older-even our nails get wrinkles:lol:
best wishes
Sue

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not sure if it is related or not. The ridged nails seems to run in my family as well. My Grandmother and Mother had them as well myself. They both got crohns in their early 70's. I've had Lupus now for 3 years. We were told at one time that it could be a protein deficiency. I haven't noticed any improvements since I've been treated for Lupus, so I'm not sure.

Wish I could help you more.

Annette

·
Registered
279 Posts
nails I have mixed connective tissue disease. Im on calcium pills that seems to make the nails stronger. My cuticals are very dry massage cutical softener into them 3 times a day. When my hands are realy dry I moisturise and wear plastic gloves or wrap in cling film (hands) my cuticals are red and inflamed. when at rheumy they put a blob of gel to look at the blood vessels they dont look normal:lol: Im forever putting hand creams on and my hands are still dry.Think Lupus does something to the shape of your nails too they ask me to put my nails together think they are looking for clubbing what ever that is. Hay ho another little niggle to put up with

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Nutty and Dixie,
I guess as you say its just one more thing/niggle.
Its funny but when i was a little girl my school'friends' usedto call my hands 'monkey hands' as they were always a bit dry and wrinkly, now as I am older the rest of me is beginning to match them!!:hehe:
Hope you all had a good weekend
Best wishes
Sue

·
Registered
279 Posts
squeeky:)

U crack me up:rotfl: Monkey lol so you at cambridge then.I go Addenbrooks Have my retuxamab IV tomorrow eek :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:big fat needle:worried: (glad when its over) 6 hours At least I dont have to stay in. Nurses are kind in PSSU

Keep moisturising your lovely hands lol:lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys thanks for your replys,
dixy, hope your treatment went well at Addenbrookes sound nasty, not too keen on needles either. I go to rheumy there also, very lucky to live in this area as I think they are 'clued up' there!
Heres wishing you a lovely Spring holiday this weekend
Sue:)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Sue,
Thank you for bringing this up. Until this last year I never once had longitudinal ridges on my nails but now about half of them could qualify as galvanized garbage cans or maybe as corduroy roads.
But, just for contrast, my wife, who definitely does not have any autoimmune disease (just asthma) has always had a couple of ridged nails. Go figure.
Douglas+

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
half of them could qualify as galvanized garbage cans or maybe as corduroy roads
:rotfl:you have a way with words Douglas :lol:

I too have vertical ridges but they are one of my 'less weird' presentations so I haven't worried too much about them.

love
Lily

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vertical Ridges and dry skin

Hi all,

I have the same problem, ridged nails and very very dry skin all over. The good news is I have found a cream which a dermatologist recommended that works a dream. It is called Skin Barrier Repair cream or SBR Cream and is made by Astellas Pharma in the netherlands.

It really helps. I even use it on my face instead of face cream because nothing I used kept my skin moisturised, even the really expensive stuff. No more cracked and painful hands or face.

good luck

Rose

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your lovely descriptions:rotfl: and advice:)

I must try out some of the creams you have mentioned my standby has been Nivea but I just seem to have 'thirsty' skin.
hubby(bless him) often gets roped in to cream my feet while we watch TV so he would very much appreciate me finding something that works. Has anyone tried 'Flexitol'? It is made in Australia. It works quite well but I dont like the smell much. Ah well cant have everything!
love
Sue

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sue,

Flexitol is Eulactol and yes I think some here have tried it with good success. Personally I haven't I do the wool fat (anhydrous lanolin) thing for my cracked feet and hands and wrap them up at night :)
Messy but it works - my skin is shocking otherwise.
love
Lily

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sue,
I have some of the same problems but mine started just after I had my son. Mine happen to be both toe nails and finger nails. I have in the past few months started shaping my finger nails and using 2 coats of nail polish on them and it has helped to make them stronger. I don't break finger nails as often now. I can't get to my toe nails or I would be trying that on them too.

I do hope that this helps some. I too wondered if it was fungie the whole time, but if it worked for my finger nails then I would think that it would work for the feet nails also. If you find out anything for sure please do post it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts